Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (DanielMerk) page 2

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Last night Dinner: about 8oz of Grass fed local round steak seared in rendered lard from local pigs, 1/2 summer squash sautee'd with olive oil and onions, cabbage and vinegar

Today is going well. I tried to skip a meal, but then I had to hit the farmers market this lunch break and with so many great fruits there I had to hit a banana.

B: Shakeology + 1/2 banana + 4oz bleuberries + 4oz whole organic milk

S: 4 almonds + 1 banana

L: chicken wings(home made braised in butter and home made hotsauce); 4oz round steak strips(leftovers), 2c mixed greens, 1/2red pepper, 1/4c red cabbage, 1tbsp olive oil/1tbsp red wine vinegar

S: 1/4c blueberries + 1/4c cherries + date and nut bar home made

D: 1/2 Bronzini grilled (whole fish), Brussles sprouts, cabbage slaw?

brichter45 is offline Junior Member

Merk,

You rock!!

I don't think i've ever had whole organic milk.. Just reminds me of the Conventional Wisdom part of the book. I've always thought that whole milk was the worst possible milk to drink. I will have to give it a try! Keep up the good work bud!

Hey gang! I know I have been slacking in my journal, so I thought I would post a few days of eating. I have been pretty good with my diet. A few slips here and there, but never any grains, legumes, soy, corn. When I usually slip it is a situation where I have to order dinner at a restaurant and I know I am eating commercially raised meats or I've ordered a charcuterie plate that albeit was local meats, it was cured using nitrates. I never eat the grain, rice, or pasta that would normally come with the meal.

Its been about 2 months I think since I started reading the book and following the grain free lifestyle. I love it, but last night I actually felt like I was hungry and there was nothing that would satiate me. I ate nuts, and it worked but being 37 and once a fast food and foodie, I was thinking "where is the grilled cheese?" I do not really miss it, but it was more psychological and I had to work on that. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

What is also cool, is other than canned tuna/herring, almond milk, coconut milk, olive/palm/coconut oil, and Shakeology we buy nothing pre made or packaged. We shop at our huge farmers market here in Cleveland. We've purchased a pig(ready in OCt) and a 1/2 cow. Chickens I am told are raised in VA but not fed hormones, chemicals, or corn. I hope. I think we are doing well. I hope we are.

Ok, onwards.

Monday 7/27/09

B: 3 local eggs cooked in butter and lard; handful of blueberries, pot of Jap green tea

S: IF

L: Spinach salad (red onions, carrots, red cabbage, spinach, tomatoes) with chicken thigh

S: Shakeology Chocolate

D: [ate really late; my Vietnamese neighbor came over and his mother made us dinner] Mackerel steaks in a Vietnamese soup (tomatoes, fish sauce, onions, sugar--GASP, some thing that is now growing out of my back yard she planted, and a bunch of leaves she grows)

S: 2 local brews

Tuesday 7/28/09

B: 3 local eggs, 1/2c blackberries, pot of green tea(gunpowder)

S: IF

L: Big Ass Salad (mixed greens, red cabbage, tomatoes, carrots), can of kippered Herring

S: Shakeology Chocolate with a wee bit of almond milk

D: Chicken leg and thigh cooked in red curry (coconut oil, coconut milk organic of course, 1/2 sweet potato, 1c cauliflower, green beans, water, red curry paste--NO MSG, etc)

S: coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, 2 brews

Wednesday 7/29/09

B: 4 local eggs cooked in butter/baconfat, 1/2c blackberries, 1 pot green tea

TBC

Ooooh. A Vietnamese neighbor that cooks for you, that's a treat!

I need me some Shakeology.

That red curry sounds delish!

I hear ya on the satiation. Last night I ate pecans, but was so hungry (or just craving a cold treat), but we were out of eggs and meat. The only thing left was canned tuna. I caved and made (& ate) ice-cream. Man, was I bloated!

Seriously, after too many carbs my throat gets sore, my head aches and my belly looks like I'm 4 months pregnant! Ahhhhh!

Kippered Herring huh? Where do you get that? I'm 1/4 Swedish and my ancestors love that stuff. I think it's pretty nummy myself.

Have a great day!

SassaFrass88! Thanks for reading. Sorry to hear about the icecream. I Love icecream and there is actually a market here that has a dairy farmer that makes his own icecream using milk from cows that are ONLY fed grass. He uses local honey and its amazing. He was telling me that his cream has massive amounts of Omega 3's! I laughed and said "I get it. I just hope others get it too!"

Wonder if you can freeze some berries and home made Greek yogurt? Tart, but low on the carbs...

Here is my update, I am trying to keep on this for the Aug 3 challenge. I want to be primed up!

Wednesday 7/29/09 cont.

S: Almonds

L: Tuna with some peppers from my back yard + olive oil, blk pepper and herbs, the apple snack, and some mashed carrots and broccoil

S: Recovery drink

D: (BEST DINNER EVER) mock pasta primevera: summer squash cut into thin pasta like using a mandolin, grilled chicken olive oil + backyard tomatoes, peppers, carrots, broccoli, and garlic + shallots. Top with parm cheese. WOW. it tasted like pasta. Serious.

Thursday

B: 4 eggs, almonds, 1/2c blackberries

S: missed

L: Shakeology Greenberry with lemons and almond milk

S: 1 can tuna with siracha, 1/2 apple, 1 nectarine, 1/2 lemon

D: ??

Oh sorry, you asked about kippered. Well there are a few German import houses here in Cleveland. They sell kippered herring in cans which are supposed to be wild caught. I love herring! Can't get enough of it.

That dinner does look delish!

Every time I see the word "Mandolin" I think of my Swedish grandpa. It is a bulbous banjo-type instrument and was one of the few things we got to keep after he passed away (aside from some war medals and his 'sheriff' badge he got when riding shotgun with the Wells Fargo train).

I vow, no more homemade ice cream for me, even with the coconut milk. I just can't be trusted ;-)

I'm really excited about the challenge. My husband is on board too. Going to take some measurements and pictures on Sunday.

Have a great weekend!

SassaFrass: Freeze the coconut milk + coconut oil may be good.

Update, weekend was ok. I realized that I have not eaten packaged foods in a long time. Beer has been a problem. I see that I have been recycling a bit more these days. That must be how I have been getting the carbs. :[

Starting today.

Monday 8/3/09

B: 3 eggs, 3 bacon, 1/4c cream, 1/2c raspberries

S: radish, 1 piece of smoked Gouda (locally made, grass fed), 1/4c blueberries

brichter45 is offline Junior Member

Same here with the beer bud! I agree i haven't had anything packaged in a while. I did unfortunately have a crab Rangoon at P.F. Changs the other night. But Micro-brews have been killing me!

Haven't logged in a while. Things are getting crazy, my wife and I are expecting. We truly believe that it's the reduction of inflammation through less grain activity and exercise.

Yesterday I decided to get back on track. Give up the binging on crap (although my version of crap is what many here would call primal snacking). I simply need to reduce the excess late evening eating. Still not eating much grain, corn or soy, but there was a bout with Christmas cookies. Those are just pure evil.

In the past. This last week of December marks one year of taking better care of myself and I am grateful for people like Mark and various other fitness gurus.

My goals moving forward is to get back on track with eating more often to keep cravings at bay. Stick to extremely low doses of any grains (basically the occasional bowl of steel cut oats now and then) and watch out for excess homebrews. I think that is my problem-- I make beer so its hard. Just love the stuff.

Hope this is ok to post, not selling anything but here is how I plan on getting both my PB Fitness Pyramid in and my PB Nutritional Pyramid in.

Month 01: Cardio Circuit > Easing in

Weeks 1-3

M: Cardio Intervals (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

T: Chest and Back X (P90X)

W: REST DAY Th: Shoulders and Arms X (P90X)

F: Medicine Ball Core Cardio (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

Sa: Legs and Back X (P90X)

Su: Yoga X (P90X)

Week 4: Recovery Week

M: Kempo X+ (P90X+)

T: Core Synergistics X (P90X)

W: Fountain of Youth Yoga (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

Th: Core Ball Sandwich (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

F: Patience Hummingbird Yoga (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

Sa: Cardio Intervals (One On One w/ Tony Horton)

Su: REST DAY

Nutrition:

Consume between 1800-2400 NUTRITIONALLY DENSE Calories daily. My plate for each meal should consist of 60-70% Vegetables and 30-40% Proteins. Keep non-nutritive fats to a minimum. Eat more saturated fats from flax, fish, muscle tissue (not the fat tissue) from pastured animals, egg yolks from pastured chickens, nuts (not peanuts).

Eat More:

* Chicken Breasts

* Lean Beef

* Lean pork

* Cold water fish

* “Valuable” Vegetables

* Steel Cut oats

* Olive oil

Eat Less:

* Grains and flours

* Rice

* Corn and corn meals