Thread: Zinc for Menstrual Cramps--Anyone tried it? page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Zinc for Menstrual Cramps--Anyone tried it?

Shop Now
    Over on PaleoHacks there are a couple of discussions pertaining to zinc deficiency and hormonal balance in women.

I did a simple Google search & found this study:
    Zinc treatment prevents dysmenorrhea. [Med Hypotheses. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

And the original paper:
    Zinc Treatment Prevents Dysmenorrhea

Ladies~ Have any of you tried supplementing with 30-50 mg of zinc a day or more premenstrually? I have tried the suggested magnesium & krill oil to no avail--hence my interest! I am soooo tired of taking ibuprofen!

I've already ordered some 50 mg zinc picolinate tablets, in time for my next cycle.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried zinc for menstrual cramps (they're not too bad for me) but I did see the excellent post about zinc, estrogen, and weight loss in women. I didn't know that zinc gets excreted during menstruation, and I am currently trying to get my ferritin levels up, and while I was never vegetarian I never ate much zinc-heavy food, so it's probable that I had low zinc in addition to low iron, and that contributed to things like estrogen production or weight gain or hair loss.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I tried the zinc thing but didn't notice any changes in my cycle (cramps or otherwise). Sublingual progesterone and raspberry leaf tea made a difference in comfort and overall cycle length for me (I ran out of progesterone this last time and my cycle was shorter- 25 days- and more painful). For me, longer cycles (like 29/30 days) = less pain for some reason.

Thanks for chiming in, ladies!

Hazyjane~ What kind of zinc & how much did you take?

Progesterone cream has made no difference for me, nor has krill oil & magnesium (suggested by Cillakat).

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    I think it would help but I've gotten the impression that the balance of copper and zinc is disturbed by an abnormal cycle, not that it causes it.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember the exact kind of zinc- I think it was gluconate or picolonate, 30-60 mg/day with 90 mgs a few days before my period.
    Progesterone cream never did a thing for me either, but the sublingual (Apex Energetics) seems to work differently (maybe because it goes right into the bloodstream and not into the fat cells?). I'm doing the tea and the progesterone again this month, so I'll see if I get the same effect as 2 cycles ago.