Thread: So-Sensible-It-Might-Not-Be-That-Much-Of-An-Indulgance Carrot Cake page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

So-Sensible-It-Might-Not-Be-That-Much-Of-An-Indulgance Carrot Cake

I know recipes from Elana's Pantry get knocked because of her use of agave, grapeseed oil, and ground nuts, so I wanted to post an adapted version of one of her recipes that is just peachy

I made the recipe for her carrot cake but I replaced the agave with unsweetened apple sauce and used a mixture of stevia and white sugar to sweeten (I'd have used stevia and coconut sugar if I had it on hand), replaced the oil with melted butter (which I accidentally doubled and that wasn't necessary lol), and I'll confess I didn't substitute anything better for the almond flour, haha. I made my own nut meal with the food processor (it was a combination of almond, cashew, and walnut). I also didn't add the extra walnuts (because the whole recipe is nut based) or the raisins, because they're not my thing.

I made the batter into muffin liners for about 20 minutes (they could have maybe stayed in a little longer). I topped then with cream cheese and butter frosting (2:1 ratio), but to be honest, they were pretty good on their own.

At any right, I know too many nut based treats are no bueno, but when I put these into a recipe calculator each muffin has less than 6 grams of sugar If you use entirely stevia, the recipe has only 2 grams of sugar per muffin/cupcake!

Either way you spin it, that's pretty fantastic. Protein (albeit from nuts), fat, fruit and veggies in a "dessert" with only a few grams of sugar? I'll take it!

rrrrrick is offline Member
    Fantastic. Carrot cake is my favorite. Im curious about the coconut sugar actually, how is it better than normal sugar?

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I've made this much the same way except used coconut nectar. I made the pumpkin muffins the other day and they were brilliant, but if you're like me and can't eat just one you shouldn't make them more than once every few months.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rrrrrick View Post
    Fantastic. Carrot cake is my favorite. Im curious about the coconut sugar actually, how is it better than normal sugar?
    I think coconut sugar is a lot better. I've read it can taste kind caramel-y, but from my experience I couldn't tell it wasn't sugar cane. As for health, a diabetic said there was no difference in her blood sugar between coconut sugar or splenda and for actual figures, there's one gram less sugar per teaspoon than cane sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbone View Post
    I've made this much the same way except used coconut nectar. I made the pumpkin muffins the other day and they were brilliant, but if you're like me and can't eat just one you shouldn't make them more than once every few months.
    I managed to eat one last night after I frosted them, and one with brunch today I have three left (since family ate others) and I pan on eating on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday...that is, if my husband doesn't steal another one!