Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acne - Apple Cider Vinegar & Coconut Oil, does it work? page

Acne - Apple Cider Vinegar & Coconut Oil, does it work?

Shop Now
    Hi! I've seen it mentioned in a few threads that people are using apple cider vinegar and coconut oil for skin care. I was just wondering if it's effective at helping clear up acne? Also, how do you use them? Do you wash with apple cider vinegar, and only that? Do you smell like vinegar afterwards? How do you use coconut oil? Is it only at bedtime, all the time?

Thanks for your comments!

**Edited to add: My acne is cystic and has gotten worse over the past couple years. I am in my 30's. I have really bad acne all over my head, face, behind ears, inside, basically everywhere.
    Last edited by mommyrunmommy; 09-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    I've just started putting coconut oil on after I shower (as if it was lotion.) I *think* I see a difference but it's only been a week and I may be seeing things (you know, when you hope too much you see results but they aren't really there?) I'm going to keep it up and see what my skin looks like in a month. I've got my fingers crossed.

I haven't heard of using apple cider vinegar. I'd be curious if that should be used with the coconut oil (as in, they work together) or alone, or...
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

I searched acne and someone mentioned using apple cider vinegar as a toner, but I would really like to hear how that works before I try it. Also, if it makes me smell like vinegar all day. :0
    My journey for health, energy and a balanced life page http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36813.html

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    FWIW- When my daughter has a break out or skin irritation of any kind I put her in a bathtub with vinegar. It clears right up. I use white vinegar for that so maybe if you made a vinegar/water solution for your face and adjust it to the strength you need it would work. I would start with 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 water and then gradually work up from there. I would imagine it might work like witch hazel (what is that stuff made from anyway?).

As for the coconut oil.. no clue. I use babyoil (mineral oil) after my shower - not sure how good it is for the skin but keeps the horrid dryness away. Worth a shot I suppose.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    witch hazel is a plant. What you see in the store is the extract (usually mixed with alcohol) and sold as an astringent/toner for skin. I've used it before and it feels nice but it seemed to dry out my skin, though I did get the cheap stuff so maybe I got more alcohol than extract.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Madelenas is offline Junior Member
    It works. I wash my face with warm water and a washcloth or occasionally gently scrub with baking soda once or twice a week. I then use Bragg's ACV (diluted 50/50 with water) as a toner followed by coconut oil as a moisturizer at night. For the daytime I use jojoba oil as a moisturizer. It's lighter and won't make my face so shiny. My skin glows and I have no blemishes or spots at all. I have no need for foundation. I've been doing this routine for 2 years now.

The ACV really cleans out pores and the oils help seal in moisture. No vinegary smell btw. I used to use witchazel as a toner and I find ACV far more effective. Play around with the acv to water ratios as per your skin condition. I'd say 50% water to 50% acv is a good start.

judoka is offline Member
    If worst comes to worst mate, there is always roaccutane. Try all the primal stuff first, better to always have drugs as the last resort. Having said that, I had your kind of acne when I was around 17. Seek proper advice from a dermatologist if none of this stuff works, they can help you.

timersprimal is offline Junior Member
    No one else is saying this, but cut dairy out of your diet completely. It worked a charm for me, and when ever I reintroduce dairy I break out again. Loren Cordain actually wrote an e-book/book on the subject having researched the link between the two.

PrimalToad posted this video the other day on his blog.
    Does Dairy Cause Acne? - YouTube

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I was on Accutane at 15 years old - the absolute youngest you can be on Accutane. I remember being 14 and having to wait until my 15th birthday to start it. That's how desperate I was. It cleared the acne on my back and chest, but not on my face - actually got worse on my face. The acne on my back started again a few years later. It's also really hard on the liver. I had to get my blood drawn once a month when I was on it. I also sunburned like crazy. Accutane is most definitely a LAST resort.

I've been doing the oil cleansing method with very good results, using coconut oil as the base. Everything you need to know is on The Oil Cleansing Method - A simple, cleansing facial massage for clear skin!. I didn't know about apple cider vinegar, but I'll try it along side what I'm doing now.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Thanks for all the advice. Accutune is a definate no, I would rather have bad skin.

I think the dairy is probably it, I upped my dairy a few months ago when I cut out sugar and that's about when it got worse. I will also try the ACV and coconut oil for cleaning and moisture. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast