Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains Experiment page

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member

Leangains Experiment

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    After living primal for over a year and dropping like ~80lbs. (maybe more with the muscle I gained), I'm no longer getting the strength training and fat loss results I used to... SO! I've decided to try the Leangains strategy of 16 hours of fasting and 8 hours of feeding each day... I also retooled my lifting plans to be more intentional - thus far I've just been going to the gym and doing a lot of heavy weight, low rep work and haven't really done much endurance work. To make sure I stick with it, I'm going to post my daily workouts/general diet here - hopefully this little experiment will help others decide if Leangains is right for them!

I'm not starting my new lifting schedule til Monday, so I'll begin cataloging my incredible success/debilitating failure then.

AS OF 9/10/2011:
    Weight: 255
    Max squat 365
    Max bench: 315
    Max Pullups: 8
    Body fat: 20.8
    Last edited by Feanor78; 09-10-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Drinking coffee and working, trying to avoid thinking about the 4x9x225 squats I'm doing this afternoon... I'm trying out the Smolov Protocol idea to kick-start some leg growth... anyone else use this method yet? It's been a while since I trained legs 4 days a week...

Bench Press: 2x10x236
    Close Grip Bench: 2x10x205
    Incline Press: 2x10x190
    Squats: 4x9x225

felt pretty good...

I ate/will eat:
    3/4 cup of berries
    1.5lbs flank steak
    a large bowl of broccoli w/ butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper
    4 eggs with black truffle oil and a little kasseri cheese
    a few handfuls of unroasted, unsalted mixed nuts
    Last edited by Feanor78; 09-12-2011 at 12:57 PM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    That's alot of squatting. Given your max, I guess 225 isn't super-heavy like it is for me. And legs 4x/week!? Man, I only do 2x a week and mine are sore more days of the week than not. Good luck and keep us posted.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    This should be... interesting. How many Smolov cycles are you planning on doing? The only people I've known to have done Smolov were a lot more... serious... lifters than you typically find on here.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you, though. Best of luck.

Jonathanpassey is offline Junior Member
    i have done legs 4 times per week. and they did grow quite a bit, but i limited it to a different big compound exercise each day. I think i recovered faster on this plan than i did on a two leg days per week plan simply because the volume was lower on any given day. good luck. Oh ps. I wasn't quite clear. and i am not familiar with the lean gains protocol are you trying to gain weight? Or lose weight? i suppose people can occasionally both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time but it seems like a pipe dream unless a guy is 18 years old or brand new to training. I'll watch for updates.

I'm going through the "base mesocycle" now, I was going to get through that then try the "intense cycle" of it for 4 weeks and see how I feel/if my legs fall off... In high school/college I used to be able to squat 550+lbs, so this sub-400lb BS has me very much down. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Jonathanpassey, I'm trying to put on some muscle while maintaining/losing a little bit of body fat... I know it seems pipe dreamy but I figure why not give it a try. The leangains idea comes from this trainer Martin Berkhan, and it's more or less a daily intermittent fast of 16 hours followed by a window of 8 hours during which you eat. Details here: http://www.leangains.com/
    Last edited by Feanor78; 09-12-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor78 View Post
    I'm going through the "base mesocycle" now, I was going to get through that then try the "intense cycle" of it for 4 weeks and see how I feel/if my legs fall off... In high school/college I used to be able to squat 550+lbs, so this sub-400lb BS has me very much down. Hopefully this will do the trick.
    Gotcha. I was wondering if you were just doing it for a while or making your base for the foreseeable future.

How many carbs do you eat?

not a ton (mostly coming from broccoli and spinach when I have them), but I just started to reintroduce berries post-workout and a sweet potato every 3 days so I don't run out of glycogen and feel like crap.

Chin ups: set 1 - 10 (woah!) Set 2 - 8 (+2 negatives) Set 3 - 6 (+2 negatives)
    Lat Pulldown: 150x12, 180x10, 180x10
    Bent Rows: 185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 215x5, 225x5

I ate/will eat:
    1 serving BCAAs
    1lb ground turkey w/ 2 large handfuls of baby spinach, shredded coconut, butter, coconut oil, garam masala, and 2 tbsp greek yogurt
    1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
    1 sweet potato
    3 eggs w/ spinach and kasseri cheese

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast