Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains Experiment page 3

Feanor78 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    bwhit, I used the resting metabolic rate calculator here:
    Bodybuilding.com - Resting Metabolic Rate Calculator.

I'm sure it's a rough estimate but it gives some idea of your daily needs...

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. That one seems specific to weightlifters. It said over 3,500 calories, that seems like a lot. I've been Crossfitting about 4 times a week since March. Maybe I'll try it out for a baseline though. I'm thinking October.

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor78 View Post

I ate/will eat:
    1 serving BCAAs
    1lb ground chicken w/ 2 large handfuls spinach and 1/2 cup salsa
    1 sweet potato
    3 eggs w/ cheese
    1 package frozen Brussels sprouts
    Is that all? That works out to about 1500 calories for the day..... Not very much. You'll hit a wall pretty quick on that level of food.
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
    Is that all? That works out to about 1500 calories for the day..... Not very much. You'll hit a wall pretty quick on that level of food.
    I think/hope that's one meal.

yep that's my post-workout meal, I try to have another similar one that's not so carb-heavy at around 6 or 7 too.

Also for the benefit of those reading my journal, here's my (slightly edited) "My Primal Story" I just sent in... hope I don't get disqualified for posting it here... I WANT FREE VITAMINS DAMMIT!!!

I went from being a big ol' tub of goo to being in fairly good shape in less than 15 months thanks to the Primal lifestyle. It's been a fun and interesting journey, and my life has improved in innumerable ways.
    I just turned 27, and I'm 6'3". I played sports in high school and college (football, wrestling, and rugby) and was a pretty accomplished weightlifter. After leaving college and dropping sports, I totally stopped taking care of my body. I had never paid much attention to food (except when cutting weight for wrestling) and started aggressively not paying attention to food. Although I could win any competitive eating contest thrown at me, I didn't feel particularly great. This went on with brief spurts of well-intentioned physical activity (trying to play rugby again, joining a gym for two months, etc.) for about four years. My Primal journey began when I was 25, in April 2010 when I went to the doctor to get treatment for a sore throat and found that I weighed 336lbs. - now I had weighed nearly that much when I was a Freshman in college playing offensive line, but I realized that I was going to have some serious health problems unless I turned my life around.
    For the first time in a few years, I actually went to a Barnes and Noble and bought the Primal Blueprint - an actual book! The whole evolutionary approach to nutrition made a lot of intuitive sense, and by the time I was done with the book I was pretty much convinced. I started off very strict - no carrots for me, they have too much sugar. My friend and I ordered 5 gallon jugs of coconut oil, both virgin and expeller pressed. I embraced the fat... deep fried eggs in coconut oil, deep fried brie crusted in almond flour in coconut oil, deep fried pretty much everything in coconut oil... I ran around in the woods and threw rocks like my ancient ancestors (maybe after a few drinks) did. More than anything, I just started moving my body more often. I dropped about 40lbs in the first three months. As time went on I got comfortable sprinting and lifting weights again, and I modified my meal plan to be more ad-hoc and balanced out my macronutrients and started taking some vitamins and supplements. The ongoing changes in my diet really paid off. Even through the holidays, I kept dropping weight until I arrived at a steady 255 in May of 2011. Overall I had dropped a little over 80lbs, and gone from a 46 to a 38 waist. When I started I could barely do 10 pushups, and now I can do 40 without too much effort. After a lifetime of never being able to do a pull-up, I can do 8. After a lifetime of having to buy my clothes at big and tall stores, I could actually buy name-brand pants. More than any of the weight loss or improvement in good-lookin'ness, the steady energy, lack of random hunger pains, and hugely improved immune health have really improved my quality of life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rest day! Grocery trip time... I definitely need to eat more but I'm broke

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Holy smokes, Feanor, you are a wall of muscle! No wonder you have such impressive lifting numbers, and you've obviously just scratched the surface of your potential. I am inspired.

Thanks, dude! Also btw one of the first things I started doing when I changed my diet was a series of sledgehammer workouts... until I hit myself in the shin with it haha! I got a Monster Mace from strongergrip.com which I use now - the longer handle means less chance of me de-legging myself... that kind of work is a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Feanor78; 09-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Blunt weaponry is the best! I can totally see hitting yourself in the shin, though. That must have been one awesome bruise. strongergrip.com is a great site and Ryan Pitts is a true artisan. I've wanted a monster mace myself for some time, but I keep spending all my money on food...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast