Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not working for me? page 3

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you are concerned about it, you may want to calculate your macro intakes on a program like fitday. To follow the pb as written you'll probably want to keep carbs approx. between 50-100g for now, and calculate your protein intake (.7-1g per lb of lean body mass). If I don't get enough protein, I'll be likely to overeat on carbs. I also find that just using the fats I need for cooking meats and topping salads is usually more than enough for me. Downing coconut milk smoothies and taking tbs of coconut oil etc has honestly never helped me to lose weight. I love my fat--just usually get enough of it in my meat, salad dressing and avocadoes.

I find that avoiding dairy is necessary for me and absolutely helped me lose weight. Nuts need to be limited (for me) as well.

Continue tweaking things to figure out what works for you! (And for some inspiration, check my sig, as well as the rest of the before/after pics thread. This method has been the easiest and most sustainable WOE I've found in my life for losing and maintaining weight loss. It did not happen overnight though. Just keep at it!

ETA: We are all unique, and what works for one person may not for another. Some folks need to modify the pb more than others to find their own sweet spots for weight loss. Again, good luck!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 09-10-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

gina.g is offline Junior Member
    Regarding calorie counting: I've counted for 4 years. I know my portion sizes, I have a scale, I've done all that. I use spark people.com to track and at first I ignored calories totals and focused on my macros, ie carb, fat, protein. When I was diligent about 100-ish grams of protein, less than 75g carbs, and 50% fat, I did well, wasn't hungry, didn't snack, etc.

As for the link on calorie restriction, there's no way I could do what that plan entails.

I guess I'm trying to say cals in/cals out doesn't work for me. That's what attracted me to this. I'm not a free for all binge eater. I'm active and I'm stuck.

I'm most interested in the leptin reset. I'm just tired of all of it.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Many people have found that calories in/calories out to be CW BS. The problem is that many do not know what their burn rate is and how different foods effect this. All calories are not created equally. Sugar tells the body to release insulin to store the excess. This opposes burning fat. Keep studying and give yourself a chance to learn about you. I don't track calories either but I am rather strict with what I will and won't eat. I try not to obsess over food and never look at the recipe forum when it is 3PM (and kinda hungry and waiting until after 5PM for dinner - just torture)!

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gina.g View Post
    Regarding calorie counting: I've counted for 4 years. I know my portion sizes, I have a scale, I've done all that. I use spark people.com to track and at first I...
    I guess I'm trying to say cals in/cals out doesn't work for me. That's what attracted me to this. I'm not a free for all binge eater. I'm active and I'm stuck. I'm just tired of all of it.
    I hear you. Although I think 5lbs in one month is pretty awesome! I struggle too, I don't like the calories in and calories out deal either, I mean I highly doubt Grok did that!
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I never needed to count or track to lose while eating primal, but I do find that dairy is a problem for me.

For me, the key is to focus on eating meals that are centered around meat, fat, and vegetables. Fruit and nuts are just fast-food snacks that I eat when I am running late or didn't plan. Also, it is very helpful for me to have a strict rule that I eat nothing at all between dinner and my first meal the next day - so no late night snacking.

You mentioned that your pantry is not primal - how good would you estimate your compliance is? Are a fair amount of non-primal foods sneaking in to your day?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Agree with going super-strict, hypo-allergenic, etc. and add time. Give it a year in photos before you change your mind. Your body is just waking up, groggy, after a life-long binge of fake food. I again reiterate my own weight loss rate of approximately 1 pound a month over the past three years. Totaling 40 pounds. Nothing to sneeze at. But, grasshopper, you must forge the slow weapon of patience. And use it every day.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    When I hit plateaus that stretch out, I start looking for things I've introduced that may need to be reduced. I ask myself questions, and I try to be as honest with myself as possible.

I.e.:
    • Am I eating too much dairy?
    • Am I eating too much fruit?
    • Am I eating too many nuts? (I used to keep a bag in my drawer at work. I had to stop doing that -- macs in particular seem to trigger a binge with me, but they're sooo gooood.)
    • Am I eating too much dark chocolate?

Then I may ask other questions:

• Am I going hard enough at Crossfit? Have I hit a point where I should be adding more weight to the bar? (This is good, IMO, because it means my strength is building.)
    • Is my 20% more like 30% or 40%?
    • Am I eating more than I should? Am I eating past satiety? Can I possibly reduce what I put on my plate at breakfast/lunch/dinner?
    • Am I snacking more than I should?
    • Is my thyroid out of whack?

The last question may be worth asking, especially if you're overweight. Have you had a blood test to check your thyroid levels?

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    One thing with the leptin reset, lots of the folks seemed to not lose or even gain in the beginning--it seemed to be all about healing first, and the weight loss will follow. (Measurements seemed to change for most of the folks' stories I read--in a good way.)

So if you try it, it may also take time b/4 you can see the impact on a scale. Are you taking measurements at all? Do your clothes feel any different?

Like Jammies, its imperative for me to keep out certain foods, and focus on eating more of others (veg and meat) moreso than meeting macronutrient recs. (NO gluten, NO dairy, etc.) This stuff is all so individual though...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

darkfault is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDink View Post
    I hear you. Although I think 5lbs in one month is pretty awesome! I struggle too, I don't like the calories in and calories out deal either, I mean I highly doubt Grok did that!
    Very true, I am sure Grok didn't count calories, or worry if he ate over maintenance or not. But he didn't have a super market he could roll into and get anything he wanted to eat for the day.

His life was probably get a big game kill, and eat like a king for a few days, followed by more then a few days of fasting, eating very little, living off of berries and vegetables. Although I am sure he never was obese, there were probably times where food was plentiful and extra weight was gained.

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Eat a bunch of carbs every once in a while. Calorie restriction, carb restriction, IF and exercise are effective but without some corresponding rest/refeed will cause you to plateau.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast