Thread: Primal Bunny or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Grok. page

usagihinorei is offline Junior Member

Primal Bunny or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Grok.

Primal Fuel
    Greetings fellow MA forumites! I am usagihinorei, otherwise known as Bunny. I am 23 years old, born and raised Canadian, and for the first time in my life am making an effort to make my body match my awesome personality .

This whole thing started with a number. A funny number. It stared back up at me, it's twin zeros like mocking eyes! I was 200 pounds on a 5'1 frame. And it clicked in my head. "This ain't good."

So thus began my weight-loss journey.

It was sometime in April when I had decided to check the scale just to see. I started researching and forming ideas about my plan of attack. Diet and exercise! Of course this would be my ticket! Now, I wasn't about to jump into any shenanigans with fad pills or crazy starve yourself regimens because I'm not stupid and the first rule to any sort of lifestyle change is " it takes time".

So I did the most logical thing and started a food diary. Almost immediately I found myself cutting down and cutting back on how much I consumed. Now I have been addicted to sugary crap for a long as I can remember. As a child my first goal was to seek out and demolish any sort of cake or pastry I could get my grubby little hands on. If you've ever read "God of Cake" by hyperbole and a half ( Hyperbole and a Half: The God of Cake ) you can begin to understand I was a lazer guided missle to that sweet, sweet sugary bounty. Soft bread was the promised land and I was the faithful. But years of this kind of bodily abuse have left me soft and rotund. Thankfully I never went through any sort of body image issue. I never tortured myself because I was fat, I just accepted it perhaps a little resigned but otherwise okay with my fate.

Well back too that funny little number. More funny numbers followed. I started counting my calories, and for the most part stuck between 1200 and 1500 seeing as my googlefu skills lead me to various calculators ( To note, they said my maintenance was 1800!).

This worked all well and good, I started shedding a pound or two, got excited and told all my friends and family, and there was much joy and celebration. There were parades! With floats! root beer floats yes but at least I was losing!

Well, I stalled out. At about 190. I was still eating processed salted soylent frankenfood from a box. Surely there must be something else I could do? I've heard that low carb and ketogenic diets are the way to go. And out like an angel descended from the heavens a very good friend of mine whom I don't get to speak to very often gave me a link to this blog.

At first I was skeptical. As with anything my first question was "What's he selling?". I am wary of the diet industry, I at least heeded the warning about fads and magic pills. The blog at first looked like the same thing to me.

"No!" She said " No, go past that, read it, it'll start making sense..." And I did. Slowly, little by little I read the articles. Little by little the things espoused in the blog were making sense. Not from the diet and exercise or even the lifestyle change angle. But from a whole wide view of the world angle.

Big agra and Big pharma more concerned about profit then human welfare? I knew that... but the fact that the -facts- are laid out bare here... or at least to the best of everyone' knowledge they are.

What? Bacon is okay? Sweet succulent steak was alright? I liked the sound of this. I liked the idiom of " You do not have to suffer for your health".

The more I read the more it became clear to me that I had found the right choice. Or at the very least the choice that was going to help me the most with the mot benefits.

I announced to my friend who had linked me that I had made the jump to primal. She was pleased and congratulated me. I bought vibrams five finger shoes to go run around in. I joined a gym with a pool and rediscovered my love of swimming. I ventured out and tried eggs for breakfast, sunnyside up.

It was glorious. Even more so because as a youngin' I could not stand the taste of eggs. It would make me gag and make funny faces. Sunday breakfast became cheese and kielbasa and crackers and olives.

Now the yolk tastes of nutritional ambrosia. I have discovered Kale chips. How come nobody told me you could make chips out of leafy green plant matter?!

As of today I am 175 pounds. Still a ways to go. Not every day has been perfect, as the sugar fairy still whispers sweet nothings in my ear, telling me just one won't hurt. It's not been easy so much as it has been interesting.

By posting here I hope to continue to get motivated.

Breakfast was two eggs and three slices of bacon. Lunch was a bunch of veggies, celery and brocolli and carrots and cauliflower ( But not cherry tomatoes, they aren't invited cause they have bad taste.)
    Dinner was a big fat honking slab of previously bovine. It was delicious.

I walked the dog. I walked home. I walk from the bus stop to the movie store.

Here' hoping my genes continue to wake up and go " MORE ADIPOSE ON THE FIRE!"

That would be sweet.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Bunny! Glad you joined us.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

usagihinorei is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Hedonist :3

Welp boys and girls, I have a morning news announcement! There was a small measure of success this morning. I hopped on the magical number weighty disk and it spit out some rather fabulous numbers.

I am now currently 172 pounds. My last weigh in was 175. Whoop whoop raise the roof cha cha!

For today, for breakfast at least is a sausage ( beretta farms, a local organic farm so their products aren't full of glass cleaner and FD&C red 40). I might go after eggs to as well.

Today's exercise portion will consist of walking, with a side of walking with a little bit more walking in my vibrams sprinkled on top. There are air miles to be had. 8D

Oh one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post which is kind of just a funny coincidence. A whole foods opened up right near my house about the same time I made the jump to primal. So I do have the option to get (very expensive ;- grass fed beef every once in a while when I can afford it :3

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Bunny from a fellow Canadian!

I LOVE the title of your journal and I enjoyed reading your posts

I'm also 5'1"

hyperbole and a half is awesome
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Hi Bunny, I enjoyed your OP! Good stuff!

It's not been easy so much as it has been interesting.
    That's an interesting statement. I guess I've been fortunate in that I have found it easy. I'm glad, though, that you've found it interesting enough to introduce yourself to the rest of us. Although we're omnivores, we don't bite too often.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!