Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy this beef? page

jpandzel is offline Junior Member

Would you buy this beef?

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

Just got a response back from a farmer after I asked him how he fed his cattle. What do you guys think of his response? Would you buy this beef?
    "The beef is on pasture for at least 6 months supplimented with hay and barley and corn is added the last 2 months before slaughter"

Let me know what you would do!

-Justin

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpandzel View Post
    Hi guys,

Just got a response back from a farmer after I asked him how he fed his cattle. What do you guys think of his response? Would you buy this beef?
    "The beef is on pasture for at least 6 months supplimented with hay and barley and corn is added the last 2 months before slaughter"

Let me know what you would do!

-Justin
    Walk away, the healthy omegas will be almost completely lost in the first 30 days on corn.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Buy it, eat it, and enjoy it, especially if it hasn't been fed any kind of chemicals other than wormer. Yes, corn is not ideal, but they aren't fed on only corn, they are still out eating plenty of grass and getting plenty of sunshine. I don't have enough money to be particular, and if that was what fit in my budget, I'd take advantage of it.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Nope! Ask him if you can buy some of his beef before he grain feeds it. Depending on his operation, it should be no big deal to send a cow or two off to slaughter before grain feeding. Adding grains costs money. We have family in CO mountains who don't grain suppliment as they can not afford to! I'm waiting on a couple of their guys before they are sent to the feed lot.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    It will likely be better than confinement feeding lots and mass production slaughterhouse beef.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    much better

but yeah, i'd ask him if i could get it before he starts corning it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If it is the best you can afford, then buy it and feel good about it. It sounds like the cows have a good life and it is better than feedlot by a long shot. However, if you are still shopping around and can find a grass finished beef that you a) can afford and b) like the taste of- then I would go with the grassfed and grassfinished.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    feeding cows grass most of the time, and finishing them with grain makes for healthy cows and awesome meat. win-win
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

jpandzel is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input guys! I'm leaning toward this deal but am keeping my eyes open for an 100% gf cow!

awm8604 is offline Member
    Learn More
    I wouldn't buy it. I agree with Adrianag about the corn undoing the benefits of the grass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast