Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you believe the articles MSN has been posting lately? page

Can you believe the articles MSN has been posting lately?

Primal Fuel
    How America Got So Fat And So Sick - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Healthy Living

Our problems really began as long ago as 1873 at the Vienna World's Fair, where a dazzling new invention called the steel roller mill was debuted. Though no one realized it at the time, this machine would herald the age of "refined grains." With cheaper production and longer shelf lives, white-flour-based products became more affordable, which led to an explosion in their consumption—and the introduction of substantial amounts of "empty calories" into the American diet.
    Insert shocked that they would even mention this face.
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Current primal weight: 134lbs (9/9/11)

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    They are still missing the boat but perhaps they will get it some day.

LOVE your blog and congrats on your success - you look fabulous!

Thank you Moo!! All thanks to this site and support from community members such as yourself.
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Pepole are at least getting on the whole-foods wagon (and in some cases, less grains) lately.
    The Oz Diet - TIME
    I read this article by Dr Oz in Time magazine this weekend. He does reference the "paleo solution" as a fad diet, but doesn't talk about what it is. He mentions that decreased grain consumption is encouraged now through MyPlate.gov, but still incorporates them into a healthy balanced diet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I've noticed that as well namelesswonder - more and more articles on it lately, which is great.

Thanks for the link to Dr. Oz's article, I hadn't seen it yet! At least Paleo was mentioned to get people to notice...wouldn't call it a fad diet, but not surprised he did.

Btw: I like your haircut in your avatar. I've been thinking of cutting mine recently, but I haven't found a style I wanted to try yet. Looks good!
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    ^Thank you! It's my old standby shorter-in-the-back a-line cut Finally found a hairdresser who can layer thin & pin-straight hair well!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    The people promoting actual fad diets keep trying to tag primal/paleo with the fad label. I think they are threatened by the limited opportunity to monetize the concept.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    The people promoting actual fad diets keep trying to tag primal/paleo with the fad label. I think they are threatened by the limited opportunity to monetize the concept.
    I believe it's because they see things as "diets" which are temporary fixes. No matter what option someone chooses it needs to be a lifestyle change and that is why primal/paleo solutions should be evaluated/considered by all but that's just my opinion.
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Krista View Post
    How America Got So Fat And So Sick - Page 1 - MSN Health & Fitness - Healthy Living

Our problems really began as long ago as 1873 at the Vienna World's Fair, where a dazzling new invention called the steel roller mill was debuted. Though no one realized it at the time, this machine would herald the age of "refined grains." With cheaper production and longer shelf lives, white-flour-based products became more affordable, which led to an explosion in their consumption—and the introduction of substantial amounts of "empty calories" into the American diet.
    Insert shocked that they would even mention this face.
    Except that "white" (or fairly high-extraction) bread goes back centuries. You may have been using a windmill or watermill but that doesn't stop you bolting the resulting meal through cloth—to remove most of the bran ... and, of course, bits of millstone grit on which you may chip your teeth.

Wholemeal bread was more common in the past, particularly among poorer people: but that doesn't mean it was the only loaf in town. In 13th century English towns, for example, loaves were sold by price (a penny loaf, say), the price being fixed by the town corporation. (The price-control was intended to ensure everyone could get bread cheap enough.) So you could buy a penny loaf of manchet or cockett or so on. The size of the loaf varied with the level of extraction.

I don't know about the U.S. in the early 19th century. I rather doubt that all the flour was wholemeal. I rather think it usually wasn't. But it may have been. However, i'd like to see some evidence for that. Sorry, MSN, I have this thing about evidence.

I think what we actually see here is a grudging, and not particularly new, admission that refined carbs are a problem. That what the current "dietary establishment" admit, in order to keep the whole low-fat, high-carb "Conventional Wisdom" paradigm on the road. In this view what one needs to do is to replace refined carbs with "healthy whole grains". I'm not convinced by this. Dr. Davies has a video out called:

Wheat Belly: Whole grain, organic, ciabatta, or Twinkie . . . it's all the same
    Wheat Belly: Whole grain, organic, ciabatta, or Twinkie . . . it's all the same - YouTube

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think what we actually see here is a grudging, and not particularly new, admission that refined carbs are a problem. That what the current "dietary establishment" admit, in order to keep the whole low-fat, high-carb "Conventional Wisdom" paradigm on the road. In this view what one needs to do is to replace refined carbs with "healthy whole grains". I'm not convinced by this. Dr. Davies has a video out called:

Wheat Belly: Whole grain, organic, ciabatta, or Twinkie . . . it's all the same
    Once again I'm victim to CW - didn't know that all breads (wheat) are created equal regardless of delivery.

Great link - thanks Lewis. I will add Wheat Belly to my book list I'm slowly working my way through.

I believe it's because they see things as "diets" which are temporary fixes. No matter what option someone chooses it needs to be a lifestyle change and that is why primal/paleo solutions should be evaluated/considered by all but that's just my opinion.
    I agree - that's one of the most difficult things to explain to others for me. It's a lifestyle, not a trendy diet.

Lol - I just had this discussion with my brothers. They ask why it's not as widely known as Nutri-system or WW. We aren't trying to get into your wallet. Period. There is no sign up and pay a registration fee to be apart of the Paleo/Primal Community or any frozen/microwave meals to purchase.
    Last edited by Primal Krista; 09-12-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Primal Krista
    The Paleo Lifestyle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast