Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight gain or body readjusting? page

pollydinasaur is offline Member

Weight gain or body readjusting?

Primal Fuel
    Apologies I am a newbie, been primal properly for around 10 days now. Have came from a low fat/low cal/excessive running/working out background.

I am 172cm & 132lbs female. I've started body weight exercises this week.

Looking at a total life change with regards to food & exercise however I have put 3lbs on so far this week (Not TOTM). I know the scales need to go as I am feeling good - but mentally wrapping my head round a gain is not good - I'm on holiday soon and want to look good and those numbers on the scale do mentally affect me.

Where am I going wrong? I know 80% is down to food so I am going wrong somewhere - have read the book and huge chunks of the forum but a few friendly pointers would be much appreciated.

Daily food looks like this:
    breakfast: 3xeggs, 2xbacon fried in coconut oil,
    lunch: meat BAS with mayo and avocado,
    dinner chicken or beef or lamb with green veg in butter. 1 x decaff coffee splash of coconut cream, 100gms berries with double (heavy cream), some full fat natural yoghurt.

Do I need more fat/less fat - put this into fitday and it came up around 60% fat, 39% protein, 10% carbs cals:1930 I used to stick to as close to 1200 a day as I could.

Should I be watching calories or is my body just "finding its way" the posts I could find on weight gain were folk looking to gain weight.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    this thread might be useful re: counting calories: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

At first glance it seems like you may be eating unnecessary fat, if your concern is losing weight (which it doesn't seem like it should be... you're at a good weight for your height). Portioning out the mayo and avocado on the salad might help cut down on that, and the dairy from the heavy cream and yogurt might be too much, especially because many people have found that dairy has a weight gain (or rather, lack of weight loss) effect regardless of calories. Also, even though it's decaf, drinking coffee in the evening seems like it could be bad because of the possible hormonal effects.

BUT if you like what you see when you look in the mirror, take measurements with a measuring tape, and don't look at your scale. and take a look at this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15208.html
    Last edited by spakesneaker; 09-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Also, if you have just started working out, you could have some water weight on from muscle building. 3 lbs in a week isn`t tons, but a heavy workout could put it on.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Thank you so much spakesneaker - I am going to sit and read that full thread all the way through.

Cheers Karin - i've read your journal - you are a huge inspiration.

I think I have got carried away with the whole eat fat thing and gone a bit overboard. Simple and steady. I want to simplify and clean up what I am doing.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I say go for the fat! But aim at eating 2 big meals a day and 1 snack (or IF). Took me 6 weeks to get there, but with a big brekkie and decent lunch, I have no room for dinner. So often I IF from 1.30 pm to 7.30 am. On the days I feel hungry around 6 pm, I simply eat a small bowl of berries and some shredded coconut.

Scale down 1.5lbs this morning delighted - alll I did was cut the extra fat I was adding and pay a wee bit of attention to what I was eating.

Counting calorie thread was a godsend. - I know thats not what this is about but I think I need a bit of structure so I don't go mental.

I was being a bit like letting a kid loose in a toy store , coming from low cal, low fat, chronic cardio - to body weight exercises and eating butter & meat.

I just needed some perspective on it all.

Cheers

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, Polly!
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Cheers Karin - and thanks again for the help. Sometimes I just need a big push in the right direction!

balanced is offline Member
    Having same problem with weight gain.....love kid in candy shop analogy!! Perhaps that is my problem too. Excessive amounts of fat and protein sabotaging progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast