Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Encouragement needed for Baby Led Weaning and PB for babies!! page

Kristen Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey Guys!! Just putting this out there to see if there is anyone who has had a strictly PB baby, or if they have followed the baby-led weaning approach. I've seen great videos of babies on u tube, but I'm still needing a little more info/ encouragement that I'm doing the right thing for my little guy. Thanks all!! Oh, and fyi he's almost 7 mos.

Kristen Guest

oh, and right now I'm exclusively breast feeding, while letting him "play" with whole foods. But I got the gears from my fam this holiday, so I'd like to arm myself with a little more conviction!

babygrant is offline Junior Member

Good for you! My youngest son started solids around 8 or 9 months. Finger foods. I weaned him at 15 months because of pressure from family...but I really really really wish I had allowed him to wean when he was ready.

A really good forum is the Mothering ones! www.mothering.com/discussions

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I definitely want to do baby-led solids. I had previous wanted to make my own "baby food" purees and whatnot... but dang, if they can learn to eat solids and chew properly, why deal with the mess of purees? I have to feed a baby every day at work (I'm a nanny) and she hates the puree experience - it's frustrating for her and she keeps trying to "grab" it which doesn't work because it's ... slime. Plus it's a total mess to clean up.

I found this book today on Amazon and added it to my wish list. http://www.amazon.com/Baby-led-Weani...2410242&sr=8-1

Another resource is http://www.tribalbaby.org/ which I found the other day... it has info about all sorts of "natural parenting" issues... including another very cool thing I plan to try, elimination communication (in combo with cloth diapers). They have a section on baby-led solids too. The website isn't very slick but it works I suppose.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

Baby food never made sense to me. If they were capable of eating it (and they wanted it), then I fed it to them. I never got the point of force feeding a store bought jar of puree to a baby. Those jars seemed like a joke to me, completely lacking in nutrition.

People would ask me if I make my own baby food. That never made sense to me either. I just fed my babies what they were ready to eat. If all they can do is suck (as if they are nursing), then they are not ready to try solid food.

Basically, my kids nursed exclusively until they were around 9 months. At around 9 months (give or take), they were beginning to be interested in food, and I'd start giving them bits that were soft enough for them to manipulate. I might mash it up or whatever. Any younger than that, I only gave them food as a novelty, just to see what their reaction was. Does that sound bad, lol? Sometimes it was so funny to watch them deal with a new texture in their mouth! Of course, when that finger full of mashed potatoes makes your baby gag and throw up due to the odd texture, it isn't quite so hilarious (but still sort of funny), lol.

Of course, I wasn't primal when I nursed my babies, so they got all sorts of non primal food, lol.

It is hard to really explain what I did, really, because there was no method. I just fed them from my plate if they wanted it and if they were capable of eating it.

If a baby is nursing, then they have no need for solid food until they want it. I always considered solid foods optional for at least that first year. And, I never stressed too much about making them eat, even after that first year, either. Although they were certainly eating plenty of solids by then. I just considered nursing to be their primary source of nutrition.

As for child-led weaning. In my experience, if you nurse your baby in what I would imagine would be VERY primally, trust me, they won't want to wean any earlier than 2 years old. I can almost guarantee it.

What I mean is that if the child is allowed to nurse any time they want (well, you can't always stop what you are doing and nurse them, but you get my drift), they get very attached to nursing. When I say any time they want, I mean day or night. My children all slept in bed with me and had access to the breast all.night.long. If a baby really and truly nurse on demand day and night, day and night, I doubt he/she would voluntarily wean any time before 2 years old.

So, at 18 months old, I would decide that I was sick and tired of night nursing, and I had to night-wean. No easy task, trust me. They didn't like the idea.

I weaned them fully by 2-2.5 years. I have no idea how long they would have continued to nurse had I allowed them to wean on their own. I suspect they would have easily gone to age 3 or 4.

I would have allowed for child-led weaning if my hubby was all for it. But, he would really start bugging me to wean eventually, and so I would.

Annika is offline Senior Member

I weaned my first at 21 months, because I got pregnant and didn't want to breastfeed while pregnant. let my second nurse as long as she wanted, which ended up being 3 1/2 years. At the end she was only nursing once in a while, if she was hurt or upset, and at the very end it was only every other day when we took a bath together (hey, how could she resist when they were right there)? I got a little flack from my family for nursing a 3-year-old, but they were generally supportive.

My kids are 12 and 14 now, and while I was eating a "healthy" whole-foods diet at the time, it was nowhere near Primal. My kids both got rice cereal mixed with breastmilk as their first food at 6 months, followed by pureed veggies and fruit. Now I would do things very differently! Babies really don't *need* any food besides breastmilk until close to a year - although most will show interest long before then.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

DepRatlAnimal Guest

I loved BLW! DD is now 2.5, still nursing a few times a day, and is a great, non-picky eater who basically eats what we do (soup, curry, salsa, veggies, you name it). More than anything, tho, I just loved how relaxed I could be with BLW. I could sit and eat my lunch while DD played with hers, no huge prep time In contrast, the few times I tried spoon-feeding something to her, I just felt stressed!

We started with big soft chunks of veggies & fruits she could grab and mouth, and then when she started taking real bites & there was more risk of choking, we moved to bite-size pieces she could practice her pincer-grasp on. By the time she was really eating much other than breastmilk (10+ months), I added in some soft pieces of meat, egg yolk, etc. Never had an issue with iron levels, which so many people stress re: the baby food. Real Food for Mother and Babies by Planck has some good recommendations, just ignore the grains

Oh, the one thing I do wish I'd known - some fruits, like pear and peach, have pectin, which can be irritating for the baby's stomach, unless it's lightly cooked first! I thought soft fruits would be ok raw - took me a week of uncomfortable bedtimes for DD before I searched out that info

DepRatlAnimal Guest

Oh, another site for great info on breastfeeding and feeding an older baby/toddler - kellymom.com. I think they suggest thinking of breastmilk as still giving at least 75% of nutrition for a 1yo, 50% for an 18mo, 20% for a 2yo!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Yay for primal babies!!!

Both of my boys are primal little guys, and both skipped the baby food and saw dust! (I mean pablum. ew)

I started with easy ones, avacado, zucchini, squash, sweet potato. Cut into large chunks or fingers that your babe can grip onto and chew on.

Your breast milk is still giving your baby everything he needs, so food is just a really awesome learning experience. Don't worry if most of it doesn't make it into him at first!

Skip the sippy too! Introduce water using your glass, little sips when he wants to try. If you eventually want a lidded cup go with the kind with a flexible straw. They are better for mouth developement and speech, according to the speech therapist helping my nephew.

You're doing great mama! Keep it up!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

lil_em I'm with you on skipping the sip cup too... glasses with weighted bottoms are harder for kids to tip over accidentally... some people use shot glasses for baby's first glass. Doesn't hold too much, so if it spills it's no problem, easy for little hands to hold, perfect for practicing sipping.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast