Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from the UK page

Primal_Phil is offline Junior Member

New from the UK

Primal Fuel
    Howdy!

So I've posted in the obligatory newbie thread but thought it'd be good to post here as well. I've been a member of other forums (for different things) throughout the years so I know general etiquette and I know how annoying it is when people ask questions that have been answered a million times before, so I'll try my best not to do that.

I'm coming at the Primal Blueprint diet with an eye to slow, but effective weight-loss initially. I've struggled since my early childhood with my weight and my only (partial) success was for a brief year or two when I was a strict vegetarian and doing Karate, suffice it to say I burnt out and couldn't keep it up. However, I'm sick of feeling like I do; tired, bloated, unattractive to my girlfriend and just generally sub-par, at 20 I am not overly worried about health problems (except diabetes!) but I don't want to wake up 50 years old weighing 300 pounds (I'm about 210 now).

I discovered Mark Sisson's stuff by accident a couple of years ago and promptly forgot about it, a few coincidences recently lead my back to it and I took a more mature eye to it and decided it was something worth pursuing. I'm a bit of individualist and I like to challenge my own preconceptions and nothing gave me more delight than to challenge the notion that a diet rich in fat and protein was unhealthy. I'm also a very experiential person and believe I can't pass judgement unless I've tried something, so it might be that I don't like Primal and drop it in a year or it might be I pick up a habit of a lifetime, who knows? That's why I'm here, I want to learn, to share and basically get fit and have fun doing it.

I've read a few things from people (not on here that I've seen but around the blogosphere and web in general) that the limited range of foods open to Paleo-dieters (I challenge that notion from what I've seen, but anyway...) means cooking is harder and more expensive and I have to say that I love cooking, and enjoy bizarre foods and experimenting so I was really excited when I saw things like cream, butter and fats weren't off limits as they usually are in conventional diets which, for me, means I can unload this guilt about using them (sensibly, of course) in my everyday eating habits. Furthermore I'm not a big carbs kinda person, I like pasta as much as the next guy and a baked potato is great for a quick lunch but I can take it or leave it frankly so I'm ok with giving them up.

I've read The Primal Blueprint and had a good look through some of the better paleo blogs out there before I signed up here, I like to do my research before entering a project and I notice a bit of conflict regarding foodstuffs (potatoes and dairy seem to be the biggest problems) so I'm still a little confused really...I suppose it's an each to their own situation. If you can tolerate it, go for it, kinda deal.

Well I think this post is long enough frankly, so I'd just like to conclude by saying high to everyone here and I hope to have some pretty good discussions in the coming weeks and months!

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    Hi phil! It's always nice to see another person from the UK here! Good luck with getting primal, I just know you're going to love it! =D
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

diploid is offline Member
    Hi Phil,

there's a few of us UK bods around, so welcome to the forum and all that.
    Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    Hi Phil

Welcome - I'm in Scotland so nice to see lots of UK folk here.

RumbleRo is offline Member
    Snap. London here.

Awesome, I'm glad there are so many UK people here. It sounds daft but with stuff like this it helps to have people who have access to the same brands of food, culture, shops etc... just makes it easier to get questions answered.

Oh definately! Like I used to get all my nuts and banana chips from Rosemarys.. but they closed down a couple of weeks ago! D= I found another packet of banana chips in julian graves and they were honey coated. WHY would you need to coat banana chips in honey?! >.<

Jesus that sounds sweet. I like Holland and Barret's for nuts, seems the most economical for quality. Although world food sections in Tesco's and Sainsbury's do these big bags "East End" brand I think, of nuts for like 5 and they are 1kg which I think is pretty good (I am on a student budget here, so raw, organic nuts are somewhat out of my range)

LAst time I went into holland and barret was for cranberries, and theywere loaded with so much additional sugar I walked straight out of the store! xD
    I know Tescos do 95% dark chocolate as I bought some for my mum xD I'll have to have a looky for the nuts! I'm on less than a student budget atm(Lukily mum still pays for most of my food =D) as my college course is online and work's kinda dying down now peak season is over =/

PrimalCon New York
    For dark chocolate I prefer Green and Blacks Organic 85%, It's not as strong as 95% but it's so tasty...I don't mind splashing out on that! Sigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast