Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pregnant and starving! page

cookie is offline Senior Member

pregnant and starving!

help! i'm about 7 weeks pregnant, and can't keep my growling belly at bay. for the most part, i've kept my normal diet:

2 eggs and bacon for breakfast
    salad with nuts and cheese for lunch
    roasted chicken or some sort of meat and veggies for supper

for the last week, its been nuts, though. even though i hate to resort to grains, i made soaked oats with tons of nuts and yogurt to try for a breakfast that would hold me through to lunch longer. i tried adding extra protein to my salads so i could last through to dinner. my tummy is growling every 3 hours or so. not only that, but over the last month, i've gained like 5 lbs, and look like i'm 3 mos pregnant.
    what is going on here?
    my body is going apeshit!

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Are you underweight or close to it? Sounds like eating more, especially with a developing fetus, is what your body needs right now. Make sure you're getting the proper nutrients in so your baby doesn't have to 'steal' from your stores.

And congrats on the pregnancy!
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    (((HUGS))) Most of it is probably water weight. Some is from hormonal changes.

Also, you are eating a lot more salt with the bacon, nuts & cheese. You don't want to limit salt in pregnancy, but you may want to be aware of when you are eating lots of salty foods.

You are also eating more Omega 6 fats, which can contribute to inflammation & water weight gain.

If you can eat more beef & lamb and less pork & poultry, you will get less Omega 6.

Eating frequently is fine--especially needed for some in the first trimester--just divvy up your calories & spread them over the day. Smaller meals work better for many pregnant women due to hormonal changes.

Make sure you are getting plenty of fat--pastured butter for Vitamin A & K and/or coconut oil are good choices.

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    I'd bet most of it is water weight. I'm 14 weeks, and I'd gained 4lbs by 8 weeks! I think I've gained 1lb since then, but now I have an obvious pregnant-lady bump in the right place, whereas before "the bump" was really bloating and water retention. Those early weeks are not very pleasant and I felt so "puffed up" and full all the time... it goes away, I promise!

As for the appetite... listen to your body. I was struggling to eat enough until 12 weeks, when suddenly I had to eat everything. That lasted a week or so and I think my appetite has normalized again, although I am still craving carbs and cereal and things I would never normally eat. You do need extra calories... the CW says about 300 per day in the first trimester, 400 in the second, and 400-500 in the third, especially if you are slim to begin with (I was underweight pre-pregnancy and had low body fat, so my goal weight gain is supposed to be 30 or even 35lbs... I'm still hoping for 25.) Your food log doesn't seem like quite enough to me... have you tried tracking it in fitday? I watch more for the nutrients than the calories, but it's still helpful to see if I'm close to the recommended calories or not.

I understand freaking out about the weight gain. No matter how much you *know* that of course you're going to gain weight and that's a good thing, it's hard to override years of thinking weight gain = bad. I have been the same weight, give or take exactly 1lb, since I was 16 (I'm 26 now.) My 5lbs makes me officially the heaviest I've ever been, and I am still not used to the numbers on the scale! I ended up putting my stats into this calculator and making an excel graph, with one line for the 25lbs gain, one for 35lbs gain, and one for my gain (weighing myself and updating once a week.) It's been comforting to see I am doing just fine and still a little under the 25lbs line. I have promised myself not to worry unless I have a few weeks above the 35lb line. It might be a little obsessive, but I needed it to get over my irrational worries about gaining 60lbs!

Pregnancy Weight Gain Calculator - Pounds : Kilos weight gained when pregnant BMI ajusted - Baby2see

Summary (I'm a rambler): relax, eat what your body tells you, track if it makes you feel better. And congratulations!

One more thing - pregnancy dramatically slows down your digestion. Even more if you're on certain medications (Zofran is notorious.) Some of that weight is almost certainly just food taking a little longer to work through your system... there are women on my pregnancy board who lost 3lbs overnight after taking colace

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Ummm, you actually don't need any extra calories in the first trimester if you are normal weight.

Baby doesn't really need more than 300 extra calories/day in the 2nd & 3rd trimesters.

That said, I agree with Hailey--no need to track calories--especially if you are eating a Primal diet.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you don't have enough fat-maybe that's why you crave nuts?

Congrats!!!
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

True dragonfly - I think my doctor suggested more than the norm because I was underweight to start with. The baby needs very little in the first trimester, no need for extra if you're already at a healthy weight.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    Load on the fats, eat more snacks, and I would eat primal carbs if I were you (I am not pregnant, but naturally underweight, also quite active - I do not feel well on low carb, among other things have gnawing hunger). Potatoes, sweet potatoes, other starchy/sweet veg, fruit.. I also eat white rice. Most grains disagree with me though.

If you were eating grain-free before, I am not surprised you got majorly bloated and gained water weight when you added back in large amounts of oats.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you can also add veggies to breakfast! it can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast