Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salad makes me hungry page

cmab is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone

Need some advice. Since going primal a couple of weeks ago I have noticed that whenever I eat salad with chicken I start feeling hungryish after one hour. I don't know how to define that feeling but my stomach feels like how you feel in the morning when you wake up hungry. The strange thing is that if I don't eat the salad and keep the chicken portion the same then I dont get that feeling. I don't have any digestion problems or anything.. and I don't even start eating when I get that feeling ..but it is kinda annoying.. it does go away after a couple of hours...

I haven't tried this with anything other than chicken ..like beef..since hard to find grass fed Halal beef around here.. but since chicken alone doesn't give me that feeling.. I am guessing its the salad..

Does anyone have any clue what's going on?

Cmab

Kristen Guest

the only thing I can think of is that maybe the salad is filling (stretching?) your stomach, and because your body processes the food quicker(cause it's light veggies) you feel the need to replace it? Totally guessing! But now that you mention it, I have also experienced the same phenomenon. strange.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

cmab,

What are you putting in your salad? What kind of dressing do you use?

@Kristen,

Yes I am puzzled too. I thought with all the fiber and protein from the chicken it will take some time to process..

@kuno1chi

I think my wife uses a dressing made from Olive oil, apple cider vinegar and little bit of organic maple syrup. I hope its not the maple syrup..

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

sorry to say it might be the syrup...that stuff is pure sugar and I know that it would likely affect me.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

@FlyNavyWife

Actually I have had the feeling when I used only olive oil a couple of times.. also its just a few drops of maple syrup.. But I will actually completely eliminate that from the dressing.. Thanks for the input!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

hmm not sure then... very odd.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

emmie is offline Senior Member

I'd guess the maple syrup, too. However, I also find that salad with chicken is less satisfying for me that, say, the chicken with broccoli dressed with olive oil. I don't know why that is, but I am much more satisfied with the latter, although neither one results in any 'hunger.'

Also, if your 'hunger' goes away after a while without eating anything else, then it isn't true hunger. It may be a slight rise in blood glucose from the maple syrup? Or could it be a coincidence---i.e., the first time there was something in your life that made you feel hungry (emotions can do it), and you associated it with the salad, so now it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

I hate to get all psychological on you, but food issues are often extremely complex.

Annika is offline Senior Member

Maybe there's not enough fat in the salad? I would try adding some avocado and walnuts. Yum.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@emmie

Yes food issues are kinda complex. And its definitely true that chicken with salad is not satisfying at all. I tend to eat tons of salad with even one small piece of chicken still I get that feeling.

@ Annika

I actually liked the idea of adding some avocado and nuts. Maybe it is the fat. Thanks !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast