Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread for those wanting to fine tune page

jens522 is offline Senior Member

Thread for those wanting to fine tune

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    Anyone want to share ideas about If, carb refeeds and etc to get us to lose the last few pounds or change body comp? We can share workouts, diet ideas and whatever else. This isn't a thread for those looking to shed lots of weight, but rather for those near their goals and want to fine tune things. I am struggling to lose this last bit of fat and can really gain some guidance from others.

otzi Guest
    46yo guy, here. I have been about 10lbs from my goal of 170 since May (I was 220+ last May). Eating super-primal, tons of body-weight exercise. Just couldn't lose those last 10. A couple weeks ago, I was really looking hard at what I was eating. This summer, I started eating sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free hard candy. I stopped them cold turkey and I'm down 6lbs in 2 weeks. I swear they were making me stall. I didn't change anything else except cutting out about 40 calories a day of sugar-free snacks. These things are loaded with sugar-alcohol, must be bad for me. Anyway, maybe someone else is in this trap.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    46yo guy, here. I have been about 10lbs from my goal of 170 since May (I was 220+ last May). Eating super-primal, tons of body-weight exercise. Just couldn't lose those last 10. A couple weeks ago, I was really looking hard at what I was eating. This summer, I started eating sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free hard candy. I stopped them cold turkey and I'm down 6lbs in 2 weeks. I swear they were making me stall. I didn't change anything else except cutting out about 40 calories a day of sugar-free snacks. These things are loaded with sugar-alcohol, must be bad for me. Anyway, maybe someone else is in this trap.
    That's awesome! I chew a lot of sugar free gum, I wonder if that's a hindrance?

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Never underestimate the power of a coincidence.

It's easy to attribute a sudden break in a stall to that which you just happened to change last.

But, it's hard to ponder that cutting 560 calories (40 calories a day X 14 days) could result in a loss of 21,000 calories (6lbs X 3500).

Sure... cutting out artificial... well... anything is good advice. And this could possibly result in a measurable difference in water content. But, I really doubt you will drop 6 pounds of fat in 2 weeks like this.

tplank is offline Senior Member

I'm stuck too...

Love this thread as that is where I am: stuck with about ten stubborn pounds. Losing most of it was pretty easy after I got through the first few weeks. Bu at about month 9, I quit losing and that was about a year ago. I tried a number of things…completely cutting out alcohol and caffeine…didn’t make a difference. I had quasi-given-up just because I didn’t have the time to think about it. But intermittent fasting has interested me for a while. I’m just beginning to experiment with that. The hard part is that it is hard on my family because our meal time is really important to us. So, I started a half-hearted IF program of skipping food one day a week where we do not eat together. The good news is that it seems to be working and I have absolutely lost some fat over the last six weeks of this regimen. So I don’t know if it is cause and effect, but if I keep losing, I’ll let this thread know and also consider a more conventional IF regimen. So far, so good. Any thoughts on my experiences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by tplank View Post
    Love this thread as that is where I am: stuck with about ten stubborn pounds. Losing most of it was pretty easy after I got through the first few weeks. Bu at about month 9, I quit losing and that was about a year ago. I tried a number of things…completely cutting out alcohol and caffeine…didn’t make a difference. I had quasi-given-up just because I didn’t have the time to think about it. But intermittent fasting has interested me for a while. I’m just beginning to experiment with that. The hard part is that it is hard on my family because our meal time is really important to us. So, I started a half-hearted IF program of skipping food one day a week where we do not eat together. The good news is that it seems to be working and I have absolutely lost some fat over the last six weeks of this regimen. So I don’t know if it is cause and effect, but if I keep losing, I’ll let this thread know and also consider a more conventional IF regimen. So far, so good. Any thoughts on my experiences would be appreciated.
    I like IF too, but it can be hard with families. I tend to do it during the week and eat at least two meals on the weekend. My husband sometimes jokes that our life is centered around my feeding times like a baby, but whatever. What's your IF schedule like now?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Waskydiver View Post
    Never underestimate the power of a coincidence.

It's easy to attribute a sudden break in a stall to that which you just happened to change last.

But, it's hard to ponder that cutting 560 calories (40 calories a day X 14 days) could result in a loss of 21,000 calories (6lbs X 3500).

Sure... cutting out artificial... well... anything is good advice. And this could possibly result in a measurable difference in water content. But, I really doubt you will drop 6 pounds of fat in 2 weeks like this.
    I've had this bloated feeling all summer, too. Also terrible gas in the mornings. It was the FODMAP discussions that got me looking at the sugar-free stuff. You are right, no way it was 6lbs of fat, but more likely 6lbs of bloated gut.

I fast on Tuesdays. What that means is that after dinner on Monday I do not eat till breakfast on Wednesday. I don't get very hungry at all...sometimes a bit late on Tuesday. And if I am a little hungrier than normal on Wednesday, I allow myself a little extra...but strictly good stuff...no treats.

Rosencrantz1 is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't tried it, and are game, I recommend giving leangains-style IF a try. Keep eating primally, but only within an 8-hour window of your choosing. The general recommendation is to put that window from somewhere between noon and 2 p.m. to somewhere between 8 and 10 p.m., based on your schedule, etc.

From a social perspective, skipping breakfast is easier than lunch or dinner.

I started IF before I started primal. I was 158lbs and probably about 14%-16% bf going in (I'm M/41/5'10). Within about 10 days I'd dropped to 151. and have stayed between 151 and 153 since, with basically no additional 'effort'. I have seen no muscle loss at all (based on mirror, strength gains, etc.) and feel and look the best I have in my adult life.

The nice thing about something like IF is, if you don't like it, it's the easiest thing in the world to give up: just eat something :-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That sounds like an interesting approach that would be quite doable. Do you have any resources on the leangains IF? I could certainly make a 2-10p window work...very easily.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast