Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no motivation page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

no motivation

I used to be one of those chronic cardio people-- 1 to 1.5 hours in the gym daily doing some kind of cardio, also enjoyed long-distance running. I found it helped get rid of mental tension.

Due to various knee/ankle injuries plus some life changes, I stopped all of that for some years now. I do some yoga and tai chi daily, very light and easy. Since my pregnancy (I'm 3 months postpartum now), I've eased up a lot on exercise... Is yoga and tai chi every day enough? I've never played sports or lifted much weights, so... can't do a single pushup and don't even like to try (because it's so hard).

How can I put more effort to build strength and muscle?

rmillc is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for sharing this type of information so i have no idea for it.
    so nice dear i have read always your post.

thank you.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    You just have to start somewhere and it doesn't need to be a dedicated time each day either. If pushups are too hard try knee or wall pushups and build up to it. Do 5 quick ones when you get up in the morning. Do 5 more later in the day. You will build strength and develop to be able to do traditional ones later. Same for bridges or planks. Just at somepoint in the day do some. With any activity, as you get stronger you feel better. Once you start feeling better, it's hard to let things slide back to the way you feel now.

dado Guest
    I think your brain connects the idea of training with extreme fitness and all the very strong people you see on television or read about. This is an error in your brain that you must correct.

You cannot do a push up not because it is hard but because you expect too much too soon. If you see it as a life long activity where there is no finish line or timer, then you are free to go at your own pace. So you cannot do one now and are weak, but there is no one timing you or expecting anything from you, this is your brain, and assuredly if you begin even with the smallest step you will one day be fit.

Ease the expectations on your brain and a surge of energy will come, and then you feel good and do some woman push-ups.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    mark sisson progression - YouTube

This is a series of youtube videos that Mark made regarding a progression to use so that you can get to a point where you can do the 5 essential movements. It is extremely easy to follow his instructions, and it makes the movements very doable. You start where you need to start in the progression, then move up as you master that level. It sort of goes along with his free ebook on fitness.

I am someone who has never been athletic, I was more of a dancer, so never could do anything even close to these movements, like you said it was too hard and I didn't know how to get to enough strength to even pretend to do one chin up (push up, pull up, plank, squat) let alone do a bunch of them. So I started this week at the beginning of the progression. Very empowering and exciting to know I now have a clear reasonable pathway to eventually doing these moves at the 'expert' level.

Good Luck!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When my baby was 3 mo I was hard-pressed to walk a block. Heal, enjoy your baby, and yoga and tai-chi is great to cope with all the stress and sleepless nights! Baby will help you improve your upper body strength, and as you feel better, and more rested, you can start venturing out. Since yoga is your preference, there are yoga excersises that help you build up strength, yep, including push-ups
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Click on "Start Here" at the top of the page and download the Primal Blueprint Fitness book. It will walk you through the progression so you will some day do a pushup.

LexxyV86 is offline Senior Member
    Glad this was posted- I am having hard times with my activity level ( I despise the word exercise lol) exercise in general hurts me, there are some things I can't do! ( Okay a lot of things I am unable to do) I like this idea of progression... there is that part of me that thinks I gotta do it this way.. but maybe it is better to do what I can- results will come soon enough???

KermittheGrok is offline Junior Member
    When I feel like that, I break my challenges down to something VERY EASY.

So, maybe today, I will say I will do 1 pushup and hold a plank for 5 seconds. Tomorrow, 2 pushups and hold a plank for 5 seconds. Next day...2 pushups, hold a plank for 7 seconds.

I used to get very stuck in thinking that if I couldn't "do it all" immediately it wasn't worth trying. Or that if I couldn't do what everyone else was that I was just weak.

It's a lot of mind over matter, but if you work at YOUR level, you'll eventually get to where you want to be.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If I understand Mark's fitness ebook, and I think this is what is going to work for me, you can figure out where you should start by following his instructions, then if you start at, lets say a wall push up, then when you get to where you do a certain number (and he suggests what that should be) you move on to a knee push up, etc.

It makes so much sense to slowly build the muscles necessary to do the moves in this way. Today will be day 2 for me, and let me tell you I am weaker than I thought, but I will get to the expert level, but I am not going to put a time limit on it, just progress as my body is ready.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast