Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-VFF minimalist/barefoot shoes? page

rrrrrick is offline Member

Non-VFF minimalist/barefoot shoes?

Primal Fuel
    Does anybody have suggestions for man footwear other than vffs? I don't think I could do VFFs because my 2nd toes are real long and i've heard that can be a problem for them, and I wouldn't be able to wear them to work, which is where I do the majority of my shoe-wearing. Plus they're pretty expensive and... I hate how they look.

Any other shoes that are suggested and maybe economical? I've been trying to look for some and it seems like everything else is pretty much just bags with rubber soles that I put over my feet. I've tried to find some cheap mocassins but it seems like they all have pretty thick/dense rubber soles now which is some BS.

So far I'm thinking I may get some these

Amphibian 2010 (amphibian, barefoot, footwear, shoe, sock, sockwa) | amphibian | Sockwa. Tread Earth Lightly

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    you should really do a search on this as their are about 10,000 threads about this in the last month or so. short answer, water shoes/aqua socks.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I love the NB minimus runners!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

kitoi is offline Senior Member

Thanks for suggestions, how much can you actually feel the ground with the NB's? The STEMs look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    you should really do a search on this as their are about 10,000 threads about this in the last month or so. short answer, water shoes/aqua socks.

Yeahhh I feel ya, I did do a really quick search and did see suggestions for ballet flats and kung fu shoes and water socks, the only thing that kind of concerns me is that I don't want my toes squeezed in and I didn't want to bump an old thread so I went ahead and made a new one.

well your options for an inexpensive minimalist shoe that wont squeeze your toes is really really limited. When i say inexpensive i mean kmart water shoes cost $7 inexpensive. there seems to be gold inside most dedicated minimalist shoes as i believe just about all of them are around $100.

having said that i have a pair of merrell trail gloves that i really like and i have used the kmart water shoes that i mentioned and liked them too. the water shoes are FAR more minimalist if thats really what you are going for. almost barefoot literally, where the merrells have a 4mm sole. also fwiw the water shoes are stretchy, or at least the ones i used were, they didnt feel confining at all to my toes
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    I got some softstar shoes RunAmoc DASH in brown. I had to custom order them because people don't want brown shoes? Anyway, they're pretty good. I like them more than my VFF KSO's. They feel better, I can wear socks with them, and they don't stink. I wear them to work. I get some comments about moccasins, but no one seems to care that much.

I was expecting them to be a bit taller and more shoe like. They're form fitting on the top, but the leather feels great and stretches to accommodate them. I had a seam that dug into my foot, but softstar suggesting smashing it with a dowl + hammer. It resolved the issue.

Anyway, here are some pictures of them.

2011-09-09_14-53-05&.jpg2011-09-09_14-51-15&.jpg2011-09-09_14-53-29&.jpg
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    well your options for an inexpensive minimalist shoe that wont squeeze your toes is really really limited. When i say inexpensive i mean kmart water shoes cost $7 inexpensive. there seems to be gold inside most dedicated minimalist shoes as i believe just about all of them are around $100.

having said that i have a pair of merrell trail gloves that i really like and i have used the kmart water shoes that i mentioned and liked them too. the water shoes are FAR more minimalist if thats really what you are going for. almost barefoot literally, where the merrells have a 4mm sole. also fwiw the water shoes are stretchy, or at least the ones i used were, they didnt feel confining at all to my toes
    I see. I guess I might as well pick up some water shoes since they're so cheap anyways and maybe save up for something nicer later on. I just don't understand why minimalist shoes are as expensive as they are. I guess it's just because demand is so low?

i think its probably the other way around, not many manufacturers are making them and a lot of people want them. low supply and high demand always drives prices up

once some more companies start making them the prices will start to come down
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I do not feel as much in the NB as I do the Vivobarefoot. Both are awesome shoes. I also have a pair of merrel trail gloves that are nice.. perfer the others though
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast