Thread: Primal Pozole Rojo page

mswycoe Guest

Primal Fuel

I do this in my crockpot. Perfect on a cold California day

4 lbs of pork - I go to my local Mexican Mercado and get their "pozole mix" of pork but I heard that country style pork ribs or a pork shoulder will work as well.

2 Chicken bouillon cubes

2 Tomato bouillon cubes (Knor brand)

1/2 bag (2oz?) of dried New Mexico chili peppers

1 chopped yellow onion

12 whole garlic cloves

1 tbsp cumin

1/2 tsp black pepper

1-2 tsp cayenne pepper (If you like it spicy use more, I use 1 tablespoon)

2 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp salt

1/4 tsp oregano

Garnishes (mix and match):

Avocado

shredded green cabbage

minced red onion or green onion

sliced radishes

lemon or lime juice

shredded monterey cheese

sour cream

First you need to take the seeds and stems off the dried chilis. Then boil a large pot of water and pour about enough into a bowl to cover the chilis. They should soak for 30 minutes (sometimes you have to weigh them down with a small plate).

Next take the chilis and a little bit of the water (you're making a paste) and put into a blender with the chopped onion and whole garlic cloves, blend. Do not discard the extra chili water, put it into the crock pot

Put your pork in the crockpot with water about half way up. Add all the spices and bouillon (I usualy dissolve the bouillon and mix it with the spices in a coffee cup of hot water and then put that into the crock pot). Put the chili puree in the crockpot, mix it around.

Now set your crockpot on low for 8 - 10 hours (until pork is easily falling apart). This patch lasts me a good 2 days. I change up the garnishes. Sometimes I make it with a whole shredded chicken instead and then add 1/2 cube of butter and 1/2 cup of heavy cream towards the end for a spicy, creamy, chicken soup.

I hope you enjoy it. I tend to cook without measuring or even knowing the proper names for some ingredients, so I am a teensy bit worried about my first shared recipe.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Oh, YUM!!!

Thanks for sharing this :-)

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Wow, looks awesome! At first I was excited that there is another primal person on the forum from New Mexico, but then I saw you're in California, hah.

mswycoe Guest

My dad lived in Farmington, New Mexico for 3 years. He fell in love with something he calls, "Green Chili" but he does a horrible job describing it, lol. I have no idea what he is talking about. I need to google it, I guess, and see if I can primalize it.

Mr B Guest

Hatch green chilies, yo

RogerDeRok is offline Member

My best friend's wife is from Farmington. 3 hours west of Albuquerque. Green chile is our life's blood here! I'd say they're very similar to what people in other areas call Anaheim Peppers. They have their own unique taste to them though. Simply amazing.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Catalina is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for sharing this. I love pozole, but avoid getting it because of the hominy--now I can make my own!