Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone Broth Newbie page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Bone Broth Newbie

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, so I saw a package of "beef marrow" bones today at the store and almost picked them up. I'd like to make a super easy beef bone broth. So my question is...can I just buy these with the marrow still in them, toss them into my crockpot for 10 hours with some apple cider vinegar/water and achieve the basic beef bone broth? Is it ok to leave the marrow in, no additional cooking steps necessary?

Nevermike is offline Junior Member
    I have some cooking in a crock pot right now with that exact recipe. I'm going to let it cook for at least 24 hours, which means it will be done tonight.

I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW: my house smells of meaty goodness.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Yep! That's exactly what I did. I've let them simmer for 3 days and this morning took the bones out, whacked them with a hammer till they were tiny small pieces, blended them in the mixer till they were smaller pieces and dumped it all back in. Now waiting for it to reduce a little before straining and cooling-then freezing into cubes for storage.

I have no idea if pulverizing the bones is normal-I'm bored today and figured it couldn't hurt.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Wonderful! Was there any meat/skin attached to the bones you used? The last time I made broth it was with already cooked chicken leftovers...bones, skin, meat, gristle and all. This time the bone broth would be made from raw bones and whatever are those weird raw leftovers that come in the package. So, it's ok not to precook?

Sending you all my goodluck wishes for a delicious turnout on your broths, please report when done slurping all that goodness!
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-08-2011 at 01:06 PM.

There was a thin strip of tendon with some small bits of fat and meat attached to both beef soup bones I used-I just tossed it in the crock pot with water and vinegar. That's what I usually do for beef since I rarely have cooked bones. I know some people roast the bones before hand but I'm usually too lazy.

For chicken I usually have whats left after everyone has picked over a baked bird-all the bones. plus whatever leftover meat and gristle is still attached. I throw that, plus any saved giblets, hearts, etc I might have lying around, in and let it simmer away.

Just tasted mine and it needs more reducing-great flavor but a little thin.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    It's fine to cook from raw, and to put in all the marrow and bits of meat! I always add a halved onion (with the skin on), a couple of carrots, and a couple of bay leaves (for beef stock) or rosemary for lamb, or a bouquet garni for poultry. I made some lovely stock last week, and I've got some beef rib bones from our roast sitting in a pot right now!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Make sure to use bones that have plenty of connective tissue (collagen + gelatin) like oxtails, neck, or shank, or calves hoof (or if you can find it, a "knee" would be excellent) . When I hear marrow bones, I think of trimmed shanks that have very little (or no) meat on them. These by themselves will not make good stock. It's better to just roast these and eat the marrow. Go for something with more meat and lots of connective tissue.

Yes, yodiewan the bones I saw are trimmed with little or no meat, thanks for describing the difference I had no clue. I looked up a bunch of recipes for beef broth and they all sounded similar to what you are suggesting with fattier meats. I did find it odd that most of them using the full shank seem just like beef and veggie soup and none of the ones I found used apple cider vinegar.

I was thinking of getting the trimmed shanks if I can't find anything you've suggested and adding some stew meat and apple cider vinegar. What does everyone think of this idea? How long should I cook in the crockpot, sounds like it takes longer than chicken stock? I really appreciate you all helping me to sort this out.

Agatsu is offline Member
    Another trick, more so for fowl than red meat, is to roast the carcass for a while before making broth. Example: make a baked chicken tonight, eat all the meat (more or less). Throw the carcass back in the pan and roast (350-375 degrees or so) until any leftover meat and skin really brown up (maybe 30 to 45 minutes). Then use the carcass and pan drippings to make your stock. I was skeptical when a friend told me about this, but it really adds a nice smokey flavor. I don't do it every time I make broth, but it's nice once in a while.
    Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
    - Ralph Marston

whoo-hoo, it's done. Such beefy goodness...mmmmmm

Yodiewan-is the meat a necessary? I've only done bone broth with shanks and its always turned out (or at least, matches the description of what others have posted bone broth looks/smells/tastes like). Maybe will try to find something with more meat next time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast