Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bone Broth Newbie page 3

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks, Ferti. Only a tiny dash of salt. I wasn't sure if that was ok.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    I simmer mine for three days. I use a combonation of marrow bones and saved steakbones. I roast the marrow bones first until browned, then take out the marrow for later eating. Thenin the crockpot with theothe bones with a cup of vinagar. Wife and daughter hate the smell so I just put the crock outside. This is great for adding to homemade chili or just diluting to make a broth and drinking straight. I put a pat of butter on top. You know you
    ve got lots of minerals out of those marrow bones when the matrix turns to spongy consistancy and you can break it up with your fingers.

Thank you Dave RN. Your response is very helpful. How long and at what temperature does it usually take to roast the bone first? I really enjoyed drinking my chicken broth and am looking forward to drinking this batch.

Edited to add: It's finally turning a light golden brown! Think I'll give it one more day. I wonder if there's such a thing as overcooking the oxtail meat. Also curious if more vinegar equals a darker richer broth? I only used 4 tbsp not a cup. In the home stretch!
    Last edited by Goldstar; 09-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Well, it's finished! I added a bit more apple cider vinegar last minute, maybe 1/4 cup. The broth is a nice golden brown, the meat was falling off the bones and when I tasted a spoonful I could feel the texture of liquid fat. It wasn't very tasty to me, though. The broth and meat were both very, very bland.

What spices should I throw in next time to enhance the flavors? Is fresh garlic a good idea? or ginger perhaps? My goal is to make something yummy to drink, not really to make soup with.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I love to put an onion (halved), some celery, carrots, peppercorns and bay leaves in mine - it makes it very tasty. Not sure if garlic would work, it might add a bitter edge?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    @Goldstar: A dash of salt added to the broth transforms the flavor and makes it very good. I add salt to the cup as I consume it, as I like the broth to be unsalted if I'm going to use it for cooking.

@Dave RN: I cooked some beef neck bones to make stock and the bones never got really soft. The thinner outer edges got crushable, but not the bigger, thicker parts. I never boiled them hard. I kept it at a nice low simmer for the most part. Total cooking time was about 3 days I think. Would higher temps help good more goodness out of the bones?

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    I am 6 weeks pregnant and can't stomach the thought of making my own broth. I've been queasy at all times of the day. I found some packaged broth at the store that's organic and made from grass fed cows. Would it be wasting my time to drink this? Do you think there's anything good left in it after all the processing?

I'd like to know the answer to that one. What's the brand and what are the ingredients?

Jenn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think it's Central Market (HEB) brand. I'll check the ingredients.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123