Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone Broth Newbie page 2

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @Kaylee: I think shanks have enough meat and connective tissue to produce a rich broth. As long as it gels and gets thick when you chill it, you've done good.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    OK-cause this last batch was just two shanks with tiny scrips of tendon/fat/muscle. Maybe an two ounces worth, but filled with marrow. The finished product is like jello and super rich-I'm assuming the marrow is to be thanked for that.

yay! I did it right. Time time going to get something with more cartilage/connective tissue, see if that changes the taste.
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Awesome Kaylee99, glad it turned out!

I went back to the store to get the shank bones and luckily found oxtail. It is definitely meatier. And EXPENSIVE. I was so excited I'm trying it anyway. Just threw it into the crockpot with water, vinegar, half an onion, and pinch of salt. Crossing my fingers now. Does 24 hours sound about right?

I also found some beef suet! I was so tempted to put this into the crockpot with the oxtail. Would that be a bad idea, not a good ingredient for making broth? If it's ok, how much to add? If not, I'll have to try beef tallow another day.

Glad to hear it turned out well Kaylee. I would think that more meat/cartilage would be necessary for a nice broth, and that marrow wouldn't add much since it's essentially fat, but maybe I'm wrong

Goldstar, I wouldn't add suet to a broth as part of the cooking process. It will add some fat, but I don't think it will really improve the broth. I've only used suet to render into tallow to use as a cooking fat. I guess you could also use it to mix in with ground meat like for plain ground beef or beef sausage too.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    If you've found oxtails, you could make an oxtail stew - which is heavenly! Here's a link to a recipe: Oxtail Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by oliviascotland View Post
    If you've found oxtails, you could make an oxtail stew - which is heavenly! Here's a link to a recipe: Oxtail Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes
    I made a variation of that recipe with the leftover oxtail meat from when I made broth last time. It was indeed delicious.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Oxtails add a nice richness. I like to pull off the meat after a few hours and refrigerate and then throw the bones back in for a few more days of simmering. I also like to scrape the marrow out of the bones and put that aside - makes it much easier when straining at the end and not loosing the goodness.

Throw the carcass back in the pan and roast (350-375 degrees or so)This is a great idea I'm going to try next.

That stew looks amazing. I'll be glad just to get a good broth, lol. So, it sounds like I can pull the meat off the oxtails halfway through cooking or wait until my broth is done and just eat the oxtail meat then, is that right?

My broth is about 20 hours in the crockpot now and I just checked it. It is still clear, has only a slight flavor and the meat is falling off the bone but still pinkish. Is this normal?

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Yes, did you add any salt?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast