Thread: Blood Sausage? Yummy! page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm curious. Who's tried it? Who would or wouldn't?

I got a chance to try it this New Years Eve, and happily ate leftovers for breakfast this morning.

http://wildernesschilde.blogspot.com/2010/01/out-for-blood-sausage.html

What's your favorite brand? Where can I find it cheap? Or does anybody have any good recipes?

I think I found a new favorite food!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

I love blood sausage, but then I'm a sausageaholic. I've only ever had homemade blood sausage, lovingly crafted by the same person who carefully raised the hogs, butchered them, and saved the blood. From what I understand, blood sausage needs to be made from very fresh blood, which makes it difficult for home sausage makers who don't have access to freshly-butchered hogs.

I received my much-anticipated sausage stuffer for xmas, and I'm going to try my hand at many new recipes, but blood sausage likely won't be one of them unless I can find a good resource for fresh blood. Hmmm, that made me sound like a vampire!

maba is offline Senior Member

The only time I've eaten blood sausage is in a Tapas place in Montreal. I absolutely loved it but I haven't come across it since. Did you get yours in a specialty meat store?

crunchysue Guest

I had a college roommate whose Polish grandmother used to make us blood sausage all the time. I loved it, and couldn't get enough. Haven't had it since, though (that was 1981-82).

James17 Guest

My part of Ireland is famous (kind of :P ) for blood sausages - or black pudding as we call them. I have it all the time. It's lovely. You'd never realise that blood is a big part of it. It's 'Clonakilty Black Pudding'.

pwpool Guest

When i lived in the Uk we had Blood sausage (Black pudding) for breakfast its really good wish i could get some in the USA

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

I want to try it.. the only ones I found have oats in them (the Irish kind).

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

The kind I got doesn&#39;t have oats, but it did have cornstarch. I think I&#39;m going to hunt down a more Primal brand, or maybe even try making my own next time we have a hog butchered. If I&#39;d thought of it earlier in the week I&#39;d have the ingredients coming. We had "hogzilla" butchered.

There&#39;s a link to the website I got it from on my blog. They sell all kinds of expensive foods- caviar, foi gras and whatnot. I haven&#39;t really looked at the site much- my dad got me the blood sausage as a gift.

It makes the yummiest breakfast. I ate my last link this morning with 2 eggs and a sweet potato. Now that&#39;s a breakfast of champions.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

This recipe closely resembles the blood sausage I&#39;ve had. It has no fillers in it: http://www.recipezaar.com/German-Blutwurst-85440

stevew is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I love black pudding! Had some with my full english breakfast yesterday as part of my new years eve recovery

Normally though, if I&#39;m not having it with breakfast I like chopping it up and having it with turkey or chicken in a warm salad. It adds a bit of depth to it.