Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video games and muscle growth page

dado Guest

video games and muscle growth

Primal Fuel
    I've often wondered if playing video games would interfere with muscle growth.

Does intellectually taxing work, like intense, competitive multiplayer gaming, interfere with the body's ability to adapt to lifting heavy loads? Would it suck brain energy away from adapting to physical training or are the two unrelated?

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    I would say the "stress" could effect muscle recovery for sure.

I would guess that going to bed every night at 3:00am with adrenalin and cortisol coursing through your veins, muscle recovery would be hamperred and growth nearly ziltch. Maybe it would not be as bad at the age of 16 than at the age of 36 though.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure you're not being entirely serious. If you are, read up on exercise science! Anyway, play as many games as you like, obviously. It doesn't suck away energy nor does it cause a significant stress to your body. Chima_p is right though, all-nighter COD sessions will bugger you up rapidly.

dado Guest
    Yea, maybe I should read up on that exercise science.

I don't game to excess nor do I stay up late, but I do wonder if putting my gaming on hold while I am training would be beneficial.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Ahhhh COD... great way to destress after a long day if you ask me.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Gamers aren't exactly known for their athleticism - that's some pretty strong empirical evidence.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Gaming should be better than most activities involving sitting down and staring at a screen for hours. It's more fun than work, and usually less stressful too.

Plenty of people have managed to bulk up while also doing very mentally challenging jobs. There's nothing to worry about in that respect.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Xibit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Gamers aren't exactly known for their athleticism - that's some pretty strong empirical evidence.
    That has nothing to do with the act of playing a game, and everything to do with the lifestyle that usually accompanies being a gamer.

That said... being active and working out, then sitting down for a couple hours to play a game isn't good for you. It causes the hip flexors and lower back to recover in the seated position, which goes against the whole point of working on those musles. So just stand up when you play games and you'll be fine.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xibit View Post
    That said... being active and working out, then sitting down for a couple hours to play a game isn't good for you. It causes the hip flexors and lower back to recover in the seated position, which goes against the whole point of working on those musles. So just stand up when you play games and you'll be fine.
    Source? Never heard of this before but it doesn't sound nonsensical.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    World of Warcraft has been known to inhibit muscle growth, seeing as it can be quite addictive and thus preventing the player from actually going to the gym (speaking from experience)...
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast