Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone exclude FODMAP foods? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Anyone exclude FODMAP foods?

Here's a link about it from a Primal crossfit gal:

Crystal Nelson: The Road to Digestive Health Continues...

I'm wondering if this will help my gastric issues I've been having lately. Anyone else follow this for their digestive problems? Thanks.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    It made a huge difference for me. I have to stay away from most fodmaps, although I am ok with a little cabbage and broccoli, and small amounts of the high fructose fruit. I do have dairy - but I make sure I am lactaided up first. It is definitely worth trying out, and then introducing some of the types back in a little to see if you can tolerate any.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JKC
    The site I found that had the best list in terms of what was ok or not was this one:
    Low FODMAP Diet | Shepherd Works
    Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Thank you for that. Would you mind sharing what your symptoms were that lead you to the fodmaps?

Right now I am in pain after eating....gas, belching, bloating and my lower stomach burns. I am becoming more fatigued each day and I swear I would be gaining weight really quick if it wasn't for eating primal.

Thanks!

JKC
    Before I discovered the lactose tolerance, I had very painful gas pains, bloating, burping, nausea, and diarrhea. After I dealt with the lactose issues, I had less problems, but I was still dealing with chronic diarrhea, and some stomach discomfort and nausea. The diarrhea was the biggest issue, because it dragged me out terribly. I mentioned it once to a sister in law and she said that if she had diarrhea like I had, she'd be a corpse - now she knew how I felt so much of the time!

At this point, I started taking immodium every day because it did help control symptoms. Once I found out about the fodmaps foods, I found I had to get off the immodium (YAY) to avoid constipation, which is NEVER an issue for me.

I used to be aware of my stomach nearly all the time because of discomfort (read: low grade pain) there, but now for the most part, I don't even notice it as I go about my day, which is wonderful. FODMAPs avoidance was the nearly last piece of the puzzle I needed to be able to have a consistently healthy working digestive system.

The last thing I found that made a difference for me is coffee - even decaf sets me going, so I can't drink it at all.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don't feel comfortable sharing here.
    Karin

Thank you again for the reply. I have pretty much figured out that I was lactose intolerant about three years ago. So dairy has been gone for awhile. This all started in the last two weeks. I was off Primal for awhile (4 weeks...more sugar than grain consumption though). It was only after the first week I began Primal again that I began having all this distress. Now every time I eat I feel so terribly sick....my left side hurts (gastro doctor says that's where my colon is located), and I feel like my stomach is going to burst from the excess gas I can feel stored inside. The gastro doc doesn't know what to do though because I'm not having diarrhea. If anything I feel as if my digestion has slowed and am more on the constipated side, but I've been taking my magnesium, which has kept me regular. I've been taking over the counter gas relief pills, but they don't help. I tried probiotics/digestive enzymes/glutamine for over a week and felt no relief whatsoever. Now granted it could be a parasite or bacteria or h. pylori overgrowth (I am being tested for that as well as celiacs), but I'm thinking even if it is that the FODMAP foods could be feeding whatever is down there? I've read they feed harmful bacteria in your gut. I just need some relief fast...I feel so sick.

Thanks for your advice!

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    I am low FODMAP too, similar symptoms to JKC. I am actually getting the test to confirm fructose malabsorption today. Full spectrum digestive enzymes have helped immensely, I can tolerate a little garlic and onion now, where I couldn't before.

I probably didn't take the digestive enzymes for long enough then....I took them for a little over a week, but I was still eating fodmap foods.

Would it be correct to assume that until I get the fodmaps out of my diet that any food will hurt my stomach cause it's still pushing the other food through the colon? Basically, I ate an egg and a slice of bacon for breakfast, and my stomach is still killing me.

JKC
    I just started digestive enzymes a few days ago and I was going to see if it made a difference. I have my gallbladder out, so it is prolly a good thing for me anyways. I may try reintroducing to see if I can handle a bit more fruit now - that would be awesome if I could!
    Karin

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I avoid FODMAPs too. Fruit & avocados are the worst for me. Cooked veggies on the list, not so much.

Hope you find out what's going on for you!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 09-09-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast