Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone exclude FODMAP foods? page 4

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Look for the GAPS support thread on these forums, GAPS is basically low FODMAP plus bone broth and probiotics, and is aimed at healing the gut so that if the incompatibility is caused by an infection or a damaged colon (as opposed to a genetic factor) then you should be able to tolerate them better. Understanding that the healing will take time, of course.

EDIT: here's the link: GAPS support thread

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetp View Post
    Hi Paleobird- if you don't mind me asking - how long did you have your giardia and how did you get it diagnosed and treated?
    Hmm. Let's see. It seemed like it went on forever. Probably about 4 or 5 months. Diagnosed by a real doctor. (Stool sampling is lots of fun.) Treated by serious nasty antibiotics. Yes, I know, nobody likes them but sometimes they are necessary.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    Thank you for this! I will look into these remedies. For the time being, what I've found that is working a bit better for me is meat and fat. That's it. It makes it really easy on your digestive system. I've only done it for 1 day and my gas has all but disappeared so far! It's been quite a miracle. I may invest in some peppermint tea and gastro soothe, though, just in case! Thank you again!
    That's really great that you've found some soothing and non-irritating foods! I also find bone broth to be really easy to digest, sometimes with meat that's so well cooked it looks like tiny shreds of fibre. I get a lovely warmth and relaxation from that. Peppermint tea is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    See, that's the thing about parasites. You can suddenly feel better and think that x food was indeed the culprit. (I was convinced that my olive oil had been around too long and was causing my troubles.) But it is just the hiatus between one generation of the little buggers dying off and the next still incubating. Like I said, they want to keep you around so they can keep sponging off you.

I'm glad you're getting tested. There are all kinds of things parasitic and bacterial that it could be. In the meantime, do whatever you have to do to be comfortable.
    I had the exact opposite experience. I had GI trouble for a very long time and I never really thought it could be food. I had colonoscopy, endoscopy, tons of stool testing for every parasite in the book. Completely by accident I finally discovered the culprit....oats! This was before I was primal, but strict elimination of oats completely cured me. To this day, if i accidentally eat oats I am in big trouble.

You just have to keep on searching every route possible until you find the trouble.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I had the exact opposite experience. I had GI trouble for a very long time and I never really thought it could be food. I had colonoscopy, endoscopy, tons of stool testing for every parasite in the book. Completely by accident I finally discovered the culprit....oats! This was before I was primal, but strict elimination of oats completely cured me. To this day, if i accidentally eat oats I am in big trouble.

You just have to keep on searching every route possible until you find the trouble.
    But I though oats were a "superfood"!

Thankfully my gastro problems were after cutting out grains entirely so I had a lot less variables to be the problem. Definitely agree about exploring every possible avenue.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Eliminating FODMAPS made a huge difference for my long term GI issues. I recently realized that my probiotics may be causing problems and I think they're FODMAP related?! My issues improved even more after stopping them, but I know that probiotics in general are a huge help, so I'd like to find one that I can take. Can anyone recommend a good low-FODMAP-friendly probiotic?
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Siren is offline Senior Member
    Hi Goldensparrow-

Did you ever find out what was causing your issues, and if so, how did you solve them? I've been having EXACTLY the same issues for the last 5 months, and all the tests & procedures (thousands of $ worth- literally) haven't turned up any results. I've been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and I seem to be fine (as far as digestion goes, at least), but I know I can't keep it up. I'm planning on going FODMAP-free for at least 4 weeks after I start re-introducing more solid foods. Were you "cured" after eliminating FODMAPs? Are you still having issues? Anything? Please help, I'm a little desperate for answers... Thanks

~Siren
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    Hi Goldensparrow-

Did you ever find out what was causing your issues, and if so, how did you solve them? I've been having EXACTLY the same issues for the last 5 months, and all the tests & procedures (thousands of $ worth- literally) haven't turned up any results. I've been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and I seem to be fine (as far as digestion goes, at least), but I know I can't keep it up. I'm planning on going FODMAP-free for at least 4 weeks after I start re-introducing more solid foods. Were you "cured" after eliminating FODMAPs? Are you still having issues? Anything? Please help, I'm a little desperate for answers... Thanks

~Siren

I'm sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. I was doing better on a strict FODMAP diet. Then I became pregnant and started having a lot of cravings for non-FODMAP foods. So one day I just listened to what I was craving and....no pain. This has continued throughout the entire pregnancy. I've heard of babies passing onto the mothers "protection" for certain illnesses, so now whether it will return after I have had the baby I don't know. I'm sorry I'm not much help as I see getting pregnant isn't probably an ideal solution lol. I will say, though, that while doing FODMAPS I had no problems unless I slipped up and ate something seasoned the wrong way at a restaurant or whatnot. I stuck mostly with meat and sweet potatoes for a really long time.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    We would like to start FOODMAPs, but the info seems so contradictory. Some sites include all cruciferous veggies as bad, some by whatever reason say bok choy is Okay? Why bok choy? Same with eggplant. Some want to eliminate all fruit, this chart says grapes are Okay??? I am so confused.

Are there vegetables that one can eat save for zucchini?
    Last edited by Leida; 08-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think most of my food is fodmaps. If I tried eliminating them, I'd be eating water all day. If anything, I'm about to take a step in the other direction and include some non-primal fare more often. Canola oil is in a lot of foods that are otherwise looking good. Having it banned means we stand in the store flipping things over for hours and shaking our heads. I kind of miss eating.

I know, I'm the devil. Throw holy water at me and watch it sizzle.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast