Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal non-egg, breafasty breakfast foods? page 2

Karen F is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
    I'll admit, I haven't found a good Hollandaise sauce recipe yet, but I'm looking for one.
    Hollandaise is one of those wonderful phenomena where the classic recipe requires no "primalisation". Try this one:

Dead good hollandaise recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    yum, love hollandaise!

I made dh his own "granola" found a few primal recipes doing a google search and ended up mixing nuts, seeds, dried banana, and dried apricots in the food processor, just to make them small enough that he could not distinguish the fact that I did not add oats, added some honey and melted coconut oil/butter mixed some good cinnamon, laid it out on an oiled cookie sheet, baked at 350, stirred it at 7 minutes, took it out after another 7. Let it cool, put in tupperware type container. He eats a bowl every morning with milk (he is not primal). It made a lot, and is apparently pretty filling, so he eats maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup depending on how hungry he is.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I make a breakfast 'hash' using something someone here suggested once - saurkraut! It's both primal comfort food and one of my DH's fave dishes.

Breakfast Hash (makes 2 servings)
    * 3/4-1 cup of saurkrat (then press it between some paper towls to get the moisture out - prolly 1/2 cup by the time you're done)
    * 1 chopped red pepper
    * 1 cup sliced mushroom
    * 1/2 cup diced onion
    * jalapenos and/or green chilis if desired for some extra kick

Sautee the onion and pepper in the oil of your choice for 2-3 minutes on high heat, add mushrooms and saurkraut and sautee til saurkraut gets a tad browned. I love it with an easy-over egg on top (break the yolk and let it cover the hash), but that hollindaise sauce above sounds good too since your wife isn't into eggs. Serve with a side of bacon and voila! The saukraut actually cooks up to be not sour at all, but almost sweet - goes great with the saltiness of the bacon. It looks like actual breakfast hash from a diner and tastes far, far better.

Angel_102 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoBanshee View Post
    I really like Mark's Almond Banana Pancakes. I don't have them regularly, but they hit the spot when I want some pancakes.
    I second this - the pancakes are great for when you need something decadent! I've tried almond pancakes but these are way better - and far less temperamental
    Starting Date: 21st May 2011
    Starting Weight: 194lbs
    Current Weight: 178lbs
    Goal Weight: 126lbs

aoifeee is offline Junior Member
    I make home made lara bars. They are absolutely delicious!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potato hash browns. Cut some bacon into chunks, fry, then add chopped onions then grated sweet potatoes which you first press some of the liquid out between paper towels. I like to eat them with sour cream.

Almond meal pancakes with chopped, previously frozen strawberries.

acoronel is offline Member
    I love a cup of hot broth in the morning. I loved croutons (toasted bread cubes) with it as well, but now use pork rinds instead.

makovitza is offline Junior Member
    Breakfast food is an issue for me, too. At the moment I'm having scrambled eggs with ratatouille (well, basically mushroom, zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers and tomato sauted in a bit of butter with garlic and herbs) on days when I'm at home. On work days I make quinoa porridge (not strictly primal, I know, but I figure it's better than oatmeal) the night before and reheat it at work. I'm slowly reducing the amount of quinoa relative to the other ingredients. My current recipe is:

30g quinoa, rinsed then added to a saucepan with 2 cups water. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15min. Turn the heat off and allow to stand for a minute or two. Then I add 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal, 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut, 1 scoop protein powder, 80ml egg whites, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 0.5 teaspoons nutmeg and 0.5 teaspoons ground cloves. I usually turn on the heat again for a minute or two, to make sure the eggs are cooked. Then I add water, stirring, until it reaches the desired consistency, and then divide it into two tupperware containers. At work I reheat the porridge and top with about 40g blueberries. It's definitely yummy but I'm sure primal purists would have all sorts of problems with it (i'm a newbie, so i'm still getting my head around the whole primal thing).

Good luck!

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acoronel View Post
    I love a cup of hot broth in the morning. I loved croutons (toasted bread cubes) with it as well, but now use pork rinds instead.
    Pork rinds, that's ingenious!

I've got a recipe for Sweet Potato Porridge (a great oatmeal replacement) over at my blog. It's very straightforward, and totally Primal.

Sweet Potato Porridge The Self-Making Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast