Thread: Processed Meats page

Kenzington is offline Senior Member

Processed Meats

Hi all. I thought I'd would see how you all feel about such things as jerkey, sausages of sorts, beef sticks etc. I know that there is more 'stuff' that isn't necessarily primal and that they're can be a lot higher calorie etc. I love my local meat market and I know that they make their products fresh in house. Do you guys consider these to be a form of frankenfoods?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    All depends on the ingredient list. I eat sausages that only contain primal ingredients regularly. However, if there is more than just meat, fat, and spices I would consider it an occasional treat. Unfortunately, house-made does not mean primal. Most jerky and beef sticks that i have seen have way too much crap in them to be considered primal. There is a cute little polish man at the farmers market near me that sells all kinds of amazing meat products - hand made in the "old-world style" - but when I read through the ingredients I couldn't find a single one that was primal.

Just be an annoying customer and ask to see the full ingredient list - I do it all the time

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    I love good jerkey and sausages, as long as they're from my butcher. Same with the pepperoni sticks. As for the packaged stuff, no chance. That would go under the frankenfood IMO.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I've pretty much always avoided them, even pre-Primal. I make my own chorizo, breakfast sausage and jerky. Next thing I want to try is biltong, it's supposed to be even better than jerky, if that's possible.

lucyh is offline Senior Member
    I asked about some sausage at my local grocery store, and they said they mixed it in house, but it's basically just a package of seasonings they mix with ground pork. The butcher showed me the package and let me read the ingredient list. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't perfect either, there was sugar and "natural seasonings". That sort of thing falls into the once-in-a-while category for me.
    My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Occasional treat for me.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I've pretty much always avoided them, even pre-Primal. I make my own chorizo, breakfast sausage and jerky. Next thing I want to try is biltong, it's supposed to be even better than jerky, if that's possible.
    Biltong is super easy to make. I've never tried jerky, what's the difference between them?
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Jerky is sliced much thinner and (nowadays) almost always done in a dehyrator. According to what I've read, biltong comes out better air-dried, as per the traditional method. Also, jerky is often highly seasoned via marinade before the drying. It's just the salt & vinegar with biltong, no? I'm really looking forward to trying it soon.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    We did our last lot of biltong half in the air dryer, half in the dehydrator. There was no taste difference the dehydrator just took less time. I'm sure a purist could tell the difference though The way we prepare it (my SA MIL and I) is slice the meat sprinkle with dried coriander and black pepper. Sprinkle with rock salt. After three hours brush salt off and it's ready to hang/dry. Never done it with vinegar but then it could be a regional thing.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FWIW Alton Brown makes his jerky with a box fan and air filters, not a dehydrator

/ I just made a couple pounds of jerky in my dehydrator...om nom nom