Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm stuck in a conventional wisdom nutrition course! page

TheCavewoman is offline Junior Member

Help! I'm stuck in a conventional wisdom nutrition course!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

As a nursing student, I'm required to take a course on nutrition. I had my first class yesterday and my professor seems as if she would be the perfect spokes person for the USDA nutrition guidelines! Pretty much the second thing out of her mouth was condemning saturated fat.

I was wondering if any of you, either on the road to becoming an RD or for another degree, have had experience sitting through a course on nutrition and how you approached the class.

I know we will have to complete a dietary assessment on ourselves, and at this point I don't know if I should try to explain myself or just make up the assignment! It's frustrating knowing that, in my professor's eyes, I'm just plain wrong.

Thanks in advanced!
    The Cavewoman's Lunch Box - Creative meal ideas for a Paleolithic diet

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I think you are just going to have to do what you need to to pass the class. Good luck!

diploid is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    I think you are just going to have to do what you need to to pass the class. Good luck!
    All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.
    Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Eating whole foods like meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries is against the USDA nutrition guidelines?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Grizz is offline Banned
    Cavewoman,

You are being trained to give people the wrong advice. Please read this book by Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis, Wheat Belly.

Here is a book review:
    Fat Head Book Review: Wheat Belly

Dr. Davis has proven time & again that modern wheat is terrible for human health, and causes many diseases. I could not live with myself being forced to feed people such a horrible diet. If you don't do as you are told, you will lose your license.

My wife & I have greatly improved our health & weight loss from giving up wheat products. We are Paleo for Life.

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Eating whole foods like meat, fish, fowl, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries is against the USDA nutrition guidelines?
    YES ! USDA represents Big Food Corporations, and MUST promote their products. Anything else is blasphemy.

Nutritionists MUST follow the guidelines precisely or lose their license.

It is all about MONEY. Keep the population addicted & sickly to maximize profits of Big Pharma, Doctors, Hospitals, & Big Food.

Grizz

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Not exactly, but the government's dietary guidelines are almost scary. This site shows the recommended "food pyramid": Food Guide Pyramid. As you can see, it's very heavy on grains and very low on fats.

For more entertainment, you can surf through the USDA's "MyPlate" site: USDA's MyPlate - Home page. It's full of advice on getting more grains and less fat into your diet. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but obesity rates in the US started rising quickly since the first publication of the low fat guidelines by the USDA in 1980.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCavewoman View Post

I know we will have to complete a dietary assessment on ourselves, and at this point I don't know if I should try to explain myself or just make up the assignment! It's frustrating knowing that, in my professor's eyes, I'm just plain wrong.

Thanks in advanced!
    I wouldn't make up my food intake. Surely you are not the only one in class who doesn't follow a "perfect" USDA diet.

It's going to be the answers to test questions that will be tough. The correct answer, or what the professor taught you? You aren't going to change her mind, and she can't exactly teach blasphemy in a structured university classroom, so suck it up and answer what she wants to hear.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

roromisty is offline Junior Member
    Taking/passing the nutrition course is the easy part; like everyone else said, just do what you have to do, and tell the professor what she wants to hear. The hard part will be when you're working as a nurse, especially in a hospital. Surrounded by obese diabetic patients every day, watching them being served carb- and grain-laden meals, and administering barrels of insulin based on the astronomical blood sugars resulting from said meals. Shoveling statins into people every night. Etc., etc., etc. And prohibited from speaking out against it (if you want to keep your license/job). I often make some not-too-subtle "suggestions" to my patients, but I can't officially go against the party line.

dado Guest
    You swallow your pride and act like a dumb mule so you can get the grade.

This is what I had to go through in my humanities courses at engineering school, all taught by tea sucking, half-baked intellectuals that were brought up in the 60s and couldn't hold a logical thought between their soft little ears if their life depended on it.

You're not there to change the world, you're there to get the grade and get on with your career.

Don't give it a second thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast