Thread: saving bone broth fat? page

canuk_caveman is offline Member

saving bone broth fat?

Primal Fuel
    so i just made some bone broth from some soup bones i got with my grass fed 1/4 cow. i've got a lot of fat skimmed from the top and i'm wondering if i should keep it and cook with it? if so, ho long will it keep? should i freeze it?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I never skim the fat from my bone broth - it melts nicely when you reheat the stock and makes the broth rich and satisfying.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    I throw away the fat when making stock, especially when it's from cows. I really don't care for the way it coats your mouth. I like to control the fat in the sautéing process without having to worry about getting a greasy braise or soup after adding the stock.

Edit: Also, the fat would be flavored from the stock. I don't always want a stock flavor in things. Sometimes I want the fat to be neutral.

On the other hand, I render lard from hazelnut finished pigs. That stuff is delicious!
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I generally get rid of the fat from stock but, the other day, I made some lovely beef stock, kept the fat, and used it on a beef roast - it was heavenly! So I think I'll keep doing that from time to time.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I keep beef tallow. It is one thing you can do a healthy deep fry with.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Most of the time, I freeze my stock and then eat it later with a few meatballs as my dinner soup. I always leave the fat on top and eat it with the soup. Stock tastes much better in my opinion with the fat in it. I have scrapped some off to cook with from time to time where the flavoring of the stock would not otherwise disturb the flavors of what I was cooking. I have never thrown it away.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    I doubt there are very many "primal" menu items that would err on the side of fat removal. For the fat on the stock you can either skim it off during or if you wait and store the stock in a large container in the fridge, once it's cooled down the fat will all be in a hardened layer on top that can simply be lifted off. It will have some extra flavor to it from the stock but you can simply use that to your advantage to flavor veggie dishes or fry eggs in.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton