Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitday.com? page

keevelish is offline Senior Member

Fitday.com?

Shop Now
    On a whim I decided to try it out, just to see what I'm eating. And the numbers actually scare me. They seem waaaaaaay too low. Is this calculator accurate?

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Assuming you're entering the correct values, then yes. :-)
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

cavemanj is offline Senior Member
    Depends. If you want it to be very accurate, you have to weigh your food. You also have to make sure you differentiate between raw and cooked (i.e. 8oz of cooked steak is more than 8oz of raw steak). I don't think it's all that useful for anything except keeping an eye on macronutrient ratios and a general log of what you're eating.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I have compared it to other sources for nutrition info or labels and found it to be pretty much accurate. I like it to keep my carb intake and balance between protein and fat in check. I wish they had an option to NOT track calories. I get into weird mind-stuff then. But if I think it's going to cause me problems (the calorie thing) on any given day - I just don't log my food.

Paleobird Guest
    There are several such programs out there, SparkPeople, Chron-o-Meter, Livestrong, etc. I compared Fitday to the info on labels a few times and found them to be off pretty significantly. Shop around and find the one you like. I found that Sparkpeople worked well for me.

June is offline Senior Member
    I think fitday and fatsecret use USDA nutrition facts (you need to make sure the source says "USDA" not anything else) and then yes, if you are weighing, I'd say that's pretty accurate.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't use it for stuff with labels, but it lets you make custom foods so you can use your labels.

For raw, real food, it's using the USDA data from what I can tell, and that's about the best source you can get. I actually really like fitday.
    Last edited by davem; 09-08-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Realized what I wrote was dickish.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Thanks all for your replies.

What was making me nervous is that over three days my calories weren't going much over 1200 each day (I'm 5'4, 115lb).

It's recommended that breastfeeding mothers consume a minimum of 1800 calories to maintain milk production. I do wonder if that recommendation is based on people taking in your average SAD. I am nursing a three year old, so I'm definitely not making as much as someone with a newborn, but I haven't noticed a problem with milk production, and I've been grain-free for two months now.

I'm not hungry and I have plenty of energy. I did a back search and discovered that other people weren't hungry either and taking in much fewer calories. It's just a little jolting, considering the average recommendations per day from maintream nutritional sources.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

Thanks. Although I don't plan on using fitness calculators anymore. It was just a silly "hmmmm, wonder what I'm eating?" thing. I feel fine, still making milk, not dropping loads of pounds, keeping up with my workouts, etc. Too OCD for me, kwim?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast