Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out with a pro now....is it too much? page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Working out with a pro now....is it too much?

Background:

Lost 45lbs. working out with KB's twice a week with some tire flipping or sprinting and bike riding 2hrs a week

Issue:

Joined a Gym, I know very un grock like...but this place is a dream. I have a friend though that has was a strength coach with Tennessee and his internship was with the freaking Bengals! We have worked out many times but at his place or mine so limited options and it was always fun and draining. He came to the gym and joined and now we are workout partners!!!

Now my workouts are at an Hr. three times a week....very hard core...like think football program style. There is much science to what we are doing and I trust him with what we are doing and that is getting freaking strong as bulls.

I am VLC like under 50g a day low. Should I start carb loading?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    sounds cool. i wish i had a workout partner especially someone that would push me like im sure your friend does

as for carbs im sure youll get a million different answers but personally id keep it where its at and add if you think its necessary after giving it some time.

theres been a few threads on that subject lately maybe they can give you some more advice
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Personally I would had carbs on the heavy days, but you may not need to. One week you could try staying VLC, and the next week adding 100g after a workout and see which makes you feel better, you could even re test this every few months.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    Personally I would had carbs on the heavy days, but you may not need to. One week you could try staying VLC, and the next week adding 100g after a workout and see which makes you feel better, you could even re test this every few months.
    +1 go with how you feel. your body will tell you loud and clear what your needs are (more calories, more carbs or more rest)

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips!

I agree I will stay VLC for the present...I have increased my fat intake a little for some more calories

Will see how that goes for a couple of workouts and if I am dragging like I did when I started (took three weeks for me to switch energy systems) I will start to carb up and experiment.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    make sure you are getting enough protein as well

EROCK is offline Junior Member
    I've also also just started working out regularly with a buddy and I've been trying to just up my calorie intake without upping my carbs. It's been difficult because I was never really one to eat breakfast, and I often skipped lunch, but since starting a consistent workout routine I've been concerned with having an equally consistent food plan. So I've been making a point to have breakfast and lunch, more food in general, just to be on the safe side.

Whatever you try, if it works for you, please let us know what you did!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darwin17 View Post
    I have a friend though that has was a strength coach with Tennessee and his internship was with the freaking Bengals! We have worked out many times but at his place or mine so limited options and it was always fun and draining. He came to the gym and joined and now we are workout partners!!!
    As him if he's familiar with the names Dan Riley and John Philbin.

Paleo Diet -- Doug McGuff M.D. Provides Concrete Medical Support [Full] - YouTube
    The folklore in coaching is just abhorrent. You couldn't do it any more wrong.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    As him if he's familiar with the names Dan Riley and John Philbin.

Paleo Diet -- Doug McGuff M.D. Provides Concrete Medical Support [Full] - YouTube
    You bring up a good point.

That this guy was an intern with the Bengals and works with Tennessee is not a great endorsement, it's probably the opposite.

You were probably better off doing what you were doing alone with the tire flips and KBs.

You're not in the NFL bro, this is pointless, killing yourself with some arrogant young prick.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To each his own, but working out with a former pro strength coach for a a guy your age who doesn't have plans to compete in a strength sport seems overboard. Work with him for a bit to get some ideas. Then move on to a more normal routine. If strength + kettlebells is your thing, look into becoming an RKC. You seem like the kind of guy who would dig that. Those guys at Dragon Door are just CRAZY in love with maximizing personal strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast