Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean Gains page

Lawbat is offline Senior Member

Lean Gains

Shop Now
    Basically seems like Intermittent Fasting could be its own section of the forum.
    My questions are more specific.
    Have tooled around on the leangains site, and I THINK I understand the "protocols".
    Wish there were just a simple chart out there somewhere that says what's what.

Do I have this right?

work out days:

lunch: 25% calories,
    end of work/pre-workout: 25% calories
    workout
    post workout: 50% calories

non work out days:

biggest meal first meal (same timing, I think? this one's harder for me to follow)

Now for the macronutrients

where do they go??

I know it's more carbs for workout days, but how much? I vaguelly think I saw 100 grams or so suggested. Anyone clearer on that?

rest days-- higher fat days, sure. but anything more precise?

refeeds--- really think I saw that guy mention refeeds somewhere. Which doesn't make as much sense to me if you're doing some carbs on workout days. Any ideas?

I hate to say it, but I feel like the information is kind of scattered on the site. Maybe I'm just clicking on the wrong places. Wouldn't be the first time!

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    You should PM ChocoTaco, he would know.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You know, lean gains isn't just another name for intermittent fasting. There's a whole other website dedicated to it: Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health. I'm not trying to run you off from MDA, but there are other resources out there.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lean Gains is notorious for not having any easily found clear guidelines not to mention the propensity of the site to freeze the computers solid so obtaining info on LG is a monumental excersise in frustration. If someone has a clear-cut quick answer, please, POST! I would LOVE to get it from the LG site, but it's pretty much impossible

I am all ears myself, because in the end, I just add an extra meal of sweet potato with a can of tuna or egg white post-workout & keeping fingers crossed that it is what is needed. I normally have coffee, then a cup of broth (<50 cals), then lunch (<500 cals) and finally a large dinner. I stopped tracking my calories and macros, just concentrating on eating lots of vegetables and proteins, with keeping fruit and nuts as low as I can (which is unfortunately not very low), and hope for the best. Somewhere on the LG site it did say that meal distribution was not exactly the most important thing. The fasting window was the biggest concern iirc.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-08-2011 at 05:16 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    @Lawbat:
    Yes, you have the percentage of calories for the two-workout meals correct. Just make the first two meals pretty small and your last meal really big and you're good.

For rest days, Martin does recommend the first meal to be the largest. He also recommends keeping your fasting time the same every day. I don't worry about that too much personally. I just try to make sure that overall calories and carbs are lower on rest days.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Martin give more specific guidance on calorie and carb cycling, but I can't find it. I think it might be buried in the comments on one of his posts somewhere. It really depends on your goals, but I'd say as a rough estimate maybe 15% over on workout days and 15% under on rest if you're just going for recomposition. If you want to focus more on losing fat, make the excess calories lower on workout days. If you want to focus more on building muscle, bump them up.

Personally, I almost never track calories. I just try to stuff my face with carbs post-workout and make sure I get about a pound of lean meat at least. Beef heart and low-fat white fish have been staples lately.

I think the carb intake recommendation might have been as a total percentage of calories. I hesitate to give any numbers since I don't really remember. Just keep the fat pretty much as low as you can and the protein pretty high and eat a large amount of starch and you should be good.

I see every post-workout meal as a refeed. I don't do any additional carb-refeeds.

If I find where Martin gives more specific guidance, I'll edit this post to update it.

dado Guest
    Martin is big on numbers and micromanaging. I'm not with that.

You can simplify his methods; 10g of BCAAs 10 minutes before a workout, 10g after, and then eat a lot of protein and some carbs, like a potato or something. On rest days just eat primal and you should be good.

This is how I see it in my brain. How off am I? Probably not very much.

And you don't have to hate to say anything. Lean Gains, while a rich and well researched resource, lacks on presentation and brevity. The articles are winded and could be more focused and practical. He's a decent writer, but not focused enough to be called a good writer.
    Last edited by dado; 09-08-2011 at 05:43 AM.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    @dado: I follow pretty much the same approach as you do, not counting and measuring and just eating Primal on rest days. But I don't take BCAA post-workout unless it's going to be 2 hours before I can eat. Is that the case with you?

Also, I agree that the blog-posts on Leangains can be long-winded (especially when Martin delves into stuides).

@lawbat: He said in the comments on the "Leangains Guide" post that he avoids giving "cookie cutter" recommendations for carb and calorie intake since they can vary quite a bit depending on one's goals. Use your knowledge to create a good plan for yourself. Evaluate and tweak it if necessary. Repeat.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 09-08-2011 at 06:09 AM.

dado Guest
    Yea, I understand that the BCAAs are most useful before the workout and not so much after, unless you will wait a while to eat. So we're on the same page.

FitMountain is offline Member
    Yep, lots and lots of details to get lost in. For me, I fast 16 hours most days and keep as many cals as possible post workout...

@yodiewan - Beef heart ftw!

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    My impression is that he is saving explicit direction for an e-book. I think he just doesn't want to give it all away.

I do a carb refeed 2 or 3 times a week, contained to just one meal (so, 2 or 3 refeed meals a week) -- as the post workout meal -- which occurs within an hour or two, if not immediately, after the workout. Almost all my carb comes then. The rest of the day I keep low fat (and not high carb) but high protein. Non refeed days are simply LC or VLC primal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast