Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbs OPTION! page

Girown is offline Member

Carbs OPTION!

Shop Now
    I'm a college student. I usually don't eat on tuesdays and thursdays because of time being too short for it. However, if I do eat I will prolly eat like a snickers or something like that. Its cheap and fills you up.

Now I noticed that a large banana has around the same carbs as a snickers. My point is this...I am getting the same carbs so isn't my body going to react the same way to the carbs?

Thanks

ps. if anyone has any suggestions to what you can eat in college, I would appreciate it.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Snickers ingredients are: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skimmed milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skimmed milk, butter, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose (a milk product), salt, egg whites and artificial flavor.

Banana ingredients are: banana

take a wild guess about which one is healthier.

edit: I just realize if you havn't read anything at all regarding the paleo/primal diet than this post means nothing to you. Corn/Sugar/Soybean Oil, Milk Chocolate are all bad for you.
    Last edited by Rivvin; 09-07-2011 at 02:10 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Snickers ingredients are: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, chocolate, skimmed milk, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), peanuts, corn syrup, sugar, skimmed milk, butter, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, lactose (a milk product), salt, egg whites and artificial flavor.

Banana ingredients are: banana

take a wild guess about which one is healthier.

edit: I just realize if you havn't read anything at all regarding the paleo/primal diet than this post means nothing to you. Corn/Sugar/Soybean Oil, Milk Chocolate are all bad for you.
    I was going to post something similar, but all I could come up with is *head to desk* and repeat.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    No, your body won't have the same reaction to the same amount of sugars hitting your system. With the Snickers, you're eating fat and protein with the sugar. With the banana, you're getting no fat (or almost none) and I think no protein, but you are getting vitamins.
    That means the Snickers will be more satisfying and leave you feeling full longer.
    This doesn't mean the Snickers is healthier, but for your purposes, it'll work better for your busy day.
    Also, be careful about reading serving sizes: is the Snickers bar really just one serving? I find they're usually two.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    No, your body won't have the same reaction to the same amount of sugars hitting your system. With the Snickers, you're eating fat and protein with the sugar. With the banana, you're getting no fat (or almost none) and I think no protein, but you are getting vitamins.
    That means the Snickers will be more satisfying and leave you feeling full longer.
    This doesn't mean the Snickers is healthier, but for your purposes, it'll work better for your busy day.
    Also, be careful about reading serving sizes: is the Snickers bar really just one serving? I find they're usually two.
    Is this some kind of carefully thought out troll account that bides its time to strike?

This is ridiculous and should be ignored.

Dude, you want some advice? A banana and a handful of good quality beef jerky or some good almonds and you are fucking set.

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Surely everyone, regardless of primal knowledge, knows candy bars are junk...? ...I hope?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Bananas give me the runs, I suggest waking up 10 minutes early, or going to sleep 10 minutes later, and making some hard boiled eggs for snackage.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melodious View Post
    So what if it makes you fuller? What matters is what you're putting into your body. With a banana, while it may not be as "filling" as a Snickers bar, will not cause health issues. A snickers bar, which is loaded with corn sugar and soybean oil, will cause a large inflammatory response. It's loaded with polyunsaturated fat as well, which is the major cause of heart disease. While a banana may not keep you as sated, it also won't put you into an early grave. If you're that concerned about staying full, throw a can of coconut milk into your backpack and drink that along with the banana. That's about 600 calories of MCT-based fat right there, which will keep you full of energy, especially when paired with the banana. Even a jar of almond butter and a teaspoon or a bag of nuts could come in handy, although I'm not a big fan of nuts because of the high n6 content with nary an n3 in sight. Still, it beats the hell out of a Snickers bar.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Pack a banana and a small jar of coconut butter. Have 2 spoonfuls with the banana and get on with your day. Skip the Snickers- for good.

Nion is offline Senior Member

And if we're going by 'filling', eating Styrofoam peanuts is equally filling! And cheap! -_-
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast