Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Workplace is Well-Intentioned, Yet Wholly Misguided page

MakeItSo is offline Member

My Workplace is Well-Intentioned, Yet Wholly Misguided

Primal Fuel
    Lead article in our monthly Employee "Wellness" newsletter, sent out company-wide (1,000+ people) this morning:

Go for Whole Grains

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend half of our grain intake come from whole grains as they offer many health benefits from protecting your heart to reducing cancer risk to aiding in blood sugar control. Here are some tips to help boost your intake of whole grains:

• Breakfast is a great time to incorporate whole grains as many cereals are excellent sources of whole grain including bran and oat cereals.
    • You can substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour in bread, muffins, pancakes and waffle recipes.
    • Try substituting brown rice, kasha, wild rice or bulgur for white rice or mix a combination of different types in stir fries or side dishes.
    • Choose whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas when making Mexican dishes.
    • Use brown rice or barley when making soups or add to pre-made soups.
    • Try less common whole grains such as barley, bulgur, wheat berries, kasha, amaranth, quinoa, and whole wheat couscous as sides. You may discover some new family favorites.
    • Opt for whole grains when dining out. At delis, choose whole grain bread or pitas. Some Italian restaurants offer whole wheat pasta or whole wheat pizza crust. At Asian restaurants brown rice is becoming more available as an option.
    • Mix whole grain cereal into your trail mix.
    • Short on time? Try quick-fix whole grain side dishes such as whole wheat couscous and instant or microwaveable brown rice.

September is Whole Grains Month. For more information contact the Whole Grains Council at:
    The Whole Grains Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I work for a hospital.

PixieKitten is offline Senior Member
    ...If I tried incorporating less than half of that into my daily diet I'd be in hospital within 2 hours of it passing my lips. =/
    Bunny trainer extraordinaire!

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItSo View Post
    Lead article in our monthly Employee "Wellness" newsletter, sent out company-wide (1,000+ people) this morning:

Go for Whole Grains

The U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend half of our grain intake come from whole grains as they offer many health benefits from protecting your heart to reducing cancer risk to aiding in blood sugar control. Here are some tips to help boost your intake of whole grains:

• Breakfast is a great time to incorporate whole grains as many cereals are excellent sources of whole grain including bran and oat cereals.
    • You can substitute whole wheat flour for half of the white flour in bread, muffins, pancakes and waffle recipes.
    • Try substituting brown rice, kasha, wild rice or bulgur for white rice or mix a combination of different types in stir fries or side dishes.
    • Choose whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas when making Mexican dishes.
    • Use brown rice or barley when making soups or add to pre-made soups.
    • Try less common whole grains such as barley, bulgur, wheat berries, kasha, amaranth, quinoa, and whole wheat couscous as sides. You may discover some new family favorites.
    • Opt for whole grains when dining out. At delis, choose whole grain bread or pitas. Some Italian restaurants offer whole wheat pasta or whole wheat pizza crust. At Asian restaurants brown rice is becoming more available as an option.
    • Mix whole grain cereal into your trail mix.
    • Short on time? Try quick-fix whole grain side dishes such as whole wheat couscous and instant or microwaveable brown rice.

September is Whole Grains Month. For more information contact the Whole Grains Council at:
    The Whole Grains Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Oh, and it's probably worth mentioning that I work for a hospital.
    If it makes you feel any better, I work for a fortune 20 company who would promote the same thing... AND we are a major distributor of medical and pharmaceutical. SHOCK!
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure that I can claim that at least half of my grain intake is from whole grains.

Trying to calculate it might cause a "divide by zero" error, but whatever.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    admittedly, switching people from processed grains to whole grains *can* help improve health, and from there, moving to sprouted/fermented makes another huge difference, and hten frmo there, going away from it.

consider it babysteps. LOL

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I love their helpful tone of voice. Like most of the readers are idiots or something.

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    I love their helpful tone of voice. Like most of the readers are idiots or something.

Kinda reminds me of how people talk to babies. lol
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Because we don't want to pay your pension...
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    We get this nonsense as well and I have to wonder how it is that we have anybody on the payroll that has the time to produce it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

MakeItSo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I will say, on the other hand, that my workplace does do a weekly on-site Farmer's Market this time year (for 8 weeks), where we are able to purchase fresh & local organic fruits and veggies via payroll deduction. If only those booths weren't sandwiched between the ones for kettle corn and cookies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast