Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Being healthy is physically unattractive? page 9

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    No offense, but doesn't the whole evolutionary argument that long-hair = health sort of eliminate entire races as "healthy"?

I love wearing make-up, stilettos over my work boots any day, but I do it because I feel "hot" in them, not for some man. I couldn't care less if a guy likes it. I like it...that's ALWAYS enough

My husband prefers my hair a longer version of short, but I prefer my men tattooed, pierced and full of muscles....looks like we're both losing out ROFL!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no, since "long hair" is also relative. i mean, wooly hair *can* grow out, and be very long, it just takes a different amount of time than non-wooly hair.

and, culture has a huge impact on things. eg, i know in samburu culture, a married man wears his hair short, but warriors wear it long (prior to marriage). it shows the person's status. i can't remember what the culture was around women. and it's an old culture. so, cultural differences do get 'hardwired' in, too.
    Last edited by zoebird; 09-09-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Joka is offline Junior Member
    Generally, I find people to be complimentary when i'm in better shape. There are those around me though, that criticize whatever shape i'm in- if I gain weight then i'm fat. If I lose it then I look 'ill' and am 'going too far'. (My weight has never flutuated 20lbs above or below my 'usual' weight of around 200lbs). I attribute this to tall poppy syndrome, as it's always easier to kick over someone elses ladder than it is to climb your own.

Although what constitutes attractive is a very individual thing, I think there is a general consensus of what attractive is for both males and females. The human animal needs to survive and replicate. In order for a human male to survive he needs to be able to catch food and fight. Therefore it stands to reason that women would find a toned, strong, athletic looking man attractive. A fat, or muscle bound man wouldn't be able to catch dinner and a scrawny man would struggle to fight off men from other tribes. Similarly, men look for women with good indicators of health and fertility which is why women with slender curves are considered more attractive than skinny or fat women.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I think it's just a matter of personal taste (and a bit of jealously mixed in). Personally, I don't want a guy who looks like a meathead and all he wants to do is work out for 2 hours a day and has to make sure he gets 300 grams of protein per day or whatever it is. I want a guy who looks athletic and healthy, but not like a bodybuilder. As for women, I think the perfect women looks athletic but not too muscular or masculine. She has curves and isn't skinny... just healthy... feminine.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think there is a sociological argument floating around out there that we (and this may apply to specifically men) are attracted to mates that are most likely to improve our social status. So whatever traits are most valued by society at the current time are the most sought after. Therefore a very high ranking male who is fit, attractive and a good provider will be most attracted to a female that is highly valued as well.

So for example, in the current US environment this would make females who are thin, white (or perhaps asian), with perfect teeth, nice hair, clear skin, symetric features, etc. Whereas a man who is not very fit or attractive will seek females who only have one or two of those features -but will still be ranked more highly in stature than he is. There is a subconscious value ranking that goes on that determined attraction.

Not a very romantic (or politically correct ) to think or talk about dating, but I have to admit that the happiest most stable married couples I know are the ones where the men married women who were just a little better looking than them!

Joka is offline Junior Member
    ''Whereas a man who is not very fit or attractive will seek females who only have one or two of those features -but will still be ranked more highly in stature than he is. There is a subconscious value ranking that goes on that determined attraction.''

I think this is more a case of 'beggars not being choosers'. I think many of us inherently know where we are on the scale of attractivness and subconciously 'play in our own league'.

malloyevelyn110 is offline Junior Member
    Wow. I'm exactly the opposite!

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find myself seriously questioning my perception of what thin, normal, and overweight are. I have been heavy my entire life. Most of my family is. My mother and brother, however, were very, very thin when I was a child. As an adult, my brother gained a lot of weight (weighed about 280ish max). Now he started running and WW (and he eats very conventionally) and is very thin again. At least to me, because I haven't seen him thin in a long time. At first, when I could see his cheekbones, I thought he looked too thin and like a cancer patient. Then I realized that he is likely normal weight (although his abnormal love of running 50-mile marathons is concerning to me). I have to reframe normal in my mind because I am so clearly deluged by overweight people in society today (including me and my husband).

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789