Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being healthy is physically unattractive? page 3

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ChasePaleo your girlfriend probably wanted you to be bigger than her. Also couldn't handle it when you started becoming more attractive. The dynamic in the relationship goes out of whack.

I like tight bodies but not overly muscular ones. When a man looks fat in clothes because of huge muscle its not very attractive.
    Last edited by Sue; 09-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quidam View Post
    Not too long ago a couple of my co-workers, both guys, were talking about how gross it was that they used to work with someone who had visible abs. That really surprised me as both like to lift, (though neither are trim). They spoke of this guy as if he is a freak because he has muscle definition.
    Visible abs don't necessarily imply physical fitness, merely low body fat. I know there's a stigma against being super-skinny with visible abs, which makes sense because it looks similar to gross undernourishment.

It also makes sense that excessively muscular guys and girls wouldn't be considered the epitome of sexiness, because from an evolutionary standpoint it might indicate a hormonal imbalance.
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    ChasePaleo your girlfriend probably wanted you to be bigger than her. Also couldn't handle it when you started becoming more attractive. The dynamic in the relationship goes out of whack.
    Yeah, I believe so too. It was an unhealthy relationship from the start. When you move in with someone you tend to take on their habits and being an addict to takeaways didn't help! I believe that the more healthy you feel, the more attractive you will be to the majority of the opposite sex.

Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasePaleo View Post
    I believe that the more healthy you feel, the more attractive you will be to the majority of the opposite sex.
    True. You're just more confident and fun to be around.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    For years, I was attracted to the "bear" type of guy. Tall, broad-shouldered and generally overweight, built like a retired linebacker. Looking back, I was probably attracted to that type because I figured they wouldn't be as critical of my body. Ironic, since the whole reason I had body image issues was 13 years of my overweight ex-husband telling me I needed to lose weight (one item in a long list of things he felt I needed to change).

Honestly, I've never been more than 30 pounds overweight, other than when I was pregnant, but it was stuck in my head that I was heavy and unattractive.

18 months ago, I met The Boyfriend online (yes, eHarmony - no snickering!) and he is lean. Holy crap, that was flat out scary for me. Oddly enough, he was very accepting when I put on almost 20 pounds during the first year we were together. And also incredibly happy when I lost that same weight!

I don't usually get negative comments about the weight I lost, probably because I'm not super thin, just a normal-looking person that isn't heavy. But I do tend to get negative comments when people learn how I lost it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Sue
    RitaRose said:
    "Oddly enough, he was very accepting when I put on almost 20 pounds during the first year we were together. And also incredibly happy when I lost that same weight!"
    My hubby is like that - accepts me at any weight BUT prefers me slimmer as I'm happiest then and that does wonders for our sex life!

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    Perception of what is healthy is very skewed now, IMO. I think the majority of people just plain don't understand WHAT constitutes true health. The obesity epidemic has made 'overweight' into 'normal' and 'normal' into 'underweight' and the truly underweight waifs don't help the cause. The average waist size of the American woman is 34", compared to 1950 when it was 24". There has been a huge shift in the concept of what a normal body size is, because all we see around us are overweight people!

I think it's less about pants size and more about body composition. I don't think skinny-fat is attractive, nor do I think the pumped steroid look is. A natural, toned body with a healthy BF % is attractive, in my eyes. What form that takes varies person to person.
    Last edited by HeatherJ; 09-07-2011 at 06:53 PM.

tigerflower is offline Junior Member
    Wow, the fat woman hate on this thread is what I'm finding totally unattractive. I'm so grateful that there have been people in my life that have loved me and found me attractive at every size. From when I was a tiny, young thing to now, when I'm packing some extra weight and trying to do something about it. I'm not jealous. I'm not a hater, sitting in the corner of the bar brooding. I'm someone who never knew the right way to eat until now. Attraction is very individual, and what you find unattractive at either end of the spectrum, others may find very attractive. I don't even understand the point of this topic being brought up in the first place? Seems super judgey. I come here to be inspired and to exchange information, not to shallowly debate what body types are attractive (answer: all of them to someone).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerflower View Post
    Wow, the fat woman hate on this thread is what I'm finding totally unattractive. I'm so grateful that there have been people in my life that have loved me and found me attractive at every size. From when I was a tiny, young thing to now, when I'm packing some extra weight and trying to do something about it. I'm not jealous. I'm not a hater, sitting in the corner of the bar brooding. I'm someone who never knew the right way to eat until now. Attraction is very individual, and what you find unattractive at either end of the spectrum, others may find very attractive. I don't even understand the point of this topic being brought up in the first place? Seems super judgey. I come here to be inspired and to exchange information, not to shallowly debate what body types are attractive (answer: all of them to someone).
    Unfortunately this forum is in a wicked "fat-bashing" phase.....a small but very vocal group of individuals try to bring it up in every thread where it can be worked in. The forum was NOT always like this, and I presume this phase will end sometime soon and we can go back to being a nutrition focused primal/paleo forum.

It is especially unfortunate for the new people who join and are hit with this crap right away.... I am hopeful they can stay around for the good stuff and ignore the bad. But it is annoying even for someone who has been here a year.

Sue
    Usually if you are fat you are not your healthiest. Also with health improvement comes fat loss. I don't think it's fat bashing. Too much fat is inflammatory.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast