Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Being healthy is physically unattractive? page 2

IndigoBanshee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm not real fond of super buff guys, but I'm talking more the type that obviously takes more than just food and food-based supplements with their workouts. You know, the ones that can hardly move and have very clear veins because they've overworked everything so much. And then very thin women with no musculature at all and ashen skin from not eating well I find very unattractive, but they still seem to be attractive to the public in magazines (once they've been airbrushed to death).

But most the pics I've seen on MDA have been very nice...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    You know that fat girl that sits in the corner of the bar? Full of anger, she sits alone and broods as all the attractive girls get the attention from all the guys? That's okay, she thinks, all those attractive girls are stupid, slutty and beneath her. If a guy from the local college's swim team were to walk up to her, she'd go home with him in a heartbeat, but we'll ignore that. These are the girls that find healthy people unattractive. It's part jealousy, part intimidation, and people hate the clubs they aren't allowed membership in. It's a shame because getting into the attractive people's club is actually pretty easy once you get educated on the basics of health. As a kid that was short, chubby and full of acne all his life, I wish I knew ten years ago what I know now. It's pretty simple to boost your energy, transform your body type, clear up your skin, get rid of your allergies and send your confidence through the roof!

Don't let other people bring you down because you found the solution. Help them along the way so they can find the solution, too. You could do two things with your newfound health and good looks from going primal: rub it in or spread the word. Because of my results, I have all my friends asking me for nutrition advice now. Just make sure you're spreading love, not hate with your attractiveness.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I think personal tastes come into this too. I've never been into big buff men. I like my guys kind of on the tall and skinny side. I'm attracted to lean but muscles... not entirely.

As for me, I don't want to be a ripped female. I love my curves. What I'm aiming to be is a Sophia Loren or a Marilyn.... and that involves a little cushion.

I also don't think it has to do with weight for women as much as proportion and looking healthy and like you take care of yourself. There are plenty of waify women (many of them vegans or veggies) who look like cancer patients to me. I think it just depends.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I have had both negative and positive feedback since losing. Part of it is that I started at 142 lbs and 5'7" and lots of people would have said I was just fine at that weight. Most of my friends and family who have to lose need to lose more than I did. Most people say you look great, but I have had others tell me not to lose any more weight and be concerned about me. Because people in general carry so much more fat around than they used to, once you get lean, you look a little strange to some people, especially if you weren't always lean. The thing is, I feel so much better now, the weight loss is secondary to having energy and being able to live my life again.

Now if my baggyish skin would zip back in to where it belongs....
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_hailey View Post
    However, I don't find "ripped" guys attractive at all. I like lean, athletic-looking guys a whole lot, but guys with crazy muscle definition, that gym-sculpted body? Total turn-off. It makes me think he has way too much time on his hands. If a guy has the kind of toned body that's clearly the byproduct of something "real" or a skill (like a surfer, runner, dancer... oh, male dancers! Or a man who does physical work for a living) it's hot, but if he has that artificial bodybuilding/gym body that's just too perfect, I assume he's probably vain and self-obsessed. It's not physically attractive to me at all when it looks "deliberate." Just me!
    Amen to that.
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I always wonder exactly what people are describing when they talk about not liking skinny women or buff guys. "ripped" could range from David Beckam to Arnold Schwartzenegger and "skinny" could range from 90 lb anorexic girls to Jessica Beil.

Away from the internet, it seems like what people find attractive is a lot more standardized, for lack of a better word.

What level of fitness/skinniness do you find unattractive? Most guys find that anorexic look off-putting, but are there some that truthfully don't like thin, in-shape women? I know a lot of women don't like the Arnold Schwartzenegger look, but what about Brad Pitt or Mark Wahlberg?

Just curious. Judging from the internet, you'd think there's a group of people who think every look is attractive, but at bars and social gatherings, it seems like everyone's looking at the same person.
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I've copped a fair bit of criticism for my weightloss, going from 82 to 72kg @ 180cm. However, its all been from overweight people, so I just take it with a grain of salt
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Maybe its jealousy a lot of the time but I think people can push weight loss too far and start to look too gaunt. My hubby was starting to look gaunt and when he added some weight back he looked better.

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    My ex-girlfriend and I used to eat Chinese food and Domino's Pizza everyday without fail. She would say to me that she loved my size because "guys who were broad and cuddly are sexier." In fact she hated the fact that I wanted to be lean and muscular, saying it looked too ugly and unattractive. I'm not talking ripped here, I'm talking just lean and athletic. We both was piling weight on, so I wanted to do something about it and decided to go Atkins.

She got angry at me for it because of the way I ate, whilst she napped all day and had terrible IBS I felt amazingly healthy and spent most of the day walking the dog. When I started to lose weight, instead of praising me, she looked at me in disgust and said she didn't find me attractive anymore. Eventually, she broke up with me because I wanted to keep healthy and kicked me and the dog out of her house (was living with her at the time.)

Of course, it made me question is being healthy unattractive because I thought she was the love of my life, but you know what? Within a week, healthier and happier girls were checking me out (even though I'm still 330 pounds, I still get this) I felt fantastic deep down because of the energy that I had, even better when I went Paleo/Primal. So do I look back on what she said as every woman's word? Hell no. I have met some amazing women. My ex was extremely abusive and violent with me, it wasn't a nice place to be, now I'm happier and the majority of women compliment me (again even whilst I'm 330 pounds, but my energy is beaming man!)

The minority will say that it is unattractive, I've found these women to either be unhealthy and obese rather than from the healthy camp. Problem is in the UK the majority of people tend to be overweight (as I'm sure it's common in the USA too) Yet, some women that are obese still find it extremely attractive, I guess it's just a certain minority of people.

quidam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    Most guys find that anorexic look off-putting, but are there some that truthfully don't like thin, in-shape women? I know a lot of women don't like the Arnold Schwartzenegger look, but what about Brad Pitt or Mark Wahlberg?

Just curious. Judging from the internet, you'd think there's a group of people who think every look is attractive, but at bars and social gatherings, it seems like everyone's looking at the same person.
    The guy I mentioned actually likes "big" girls. He won't look twice at a girl who is not at least 50-70 pounds overweight. The only thing that bugs me about it is that in his eyes that's the size that people should be. He doesn't see it as being unhealthy. He sees proper weight range as unhealthy.

I do understand that we're not all attracted to the extreme side of health, like bulging muscles or super-svelte shapes. I readily admit that for myself I do prefer men with what I call the "big, teddy-bear look"- large, soft, squishy, and no visible muscles- but I also readily admit that a guy with this build is not going to be healthy. While I'm attracted to one look, I know that health is much more important, and how he treats himself is important. I need to trade the teddy bears for a grizzly.

What really bothers me is that I've been seeing glints of this new view of normal in a few places, and I'm wondering how many "average" people out there are embracing it outside of my little circle of friends and neighbors.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast