Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat food.. page

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member

Cat food..

Primal Fuel
    Is this good for the kitten or cats in general...

4 ounces of chicken or turkey with skin
    3 ounces of grass fed ground beef.
    1 ounce of heart.
    1.5 ounce of beef liver.
    2 grams of salmon oil
    Bonemeal ( for joint support )
    1-2 egg yolks
    Gnc ultra mega food complex ( multivitamin, probiotic, joint support, efa )
    Water.

I blend the above ingredients in a blender....make a thick goop and feed my kitten. He apparently loves it. It lasts for two days. He also has raw milk from time to time. I also give him Wilderness dry kibble in little amounts when Iam not home for an extended amount of time. It is devoid of grains, gluten, corn soy and artificial flavorings.

Planning on getting a grinder in the near future.
    Last edited by Nocturnalhorse; 09-07-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I think that would be great for a cat. Aren't they carniverous by nature?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If I were you, I would Google "homemade cat food." While your recipe sounds perfect (to me), my understanding is that cats need some specific things, e.g. taurene, that must be added to any fresh food if that's their main diet.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    I'm just starting to jump into raw meat diet for cats myself. Here's one thing I've learned, cat's need taurine to live, luckily its available in most raw meats. But when it gets ground up and is exposed to air taurine can greatly be reduced by up to 4x, the longer the meat is exposed to air the more taurine loss. So its best to always buy your meats whole and then cut it up into pieces so you mitigate the taurine loss.

Here are a few sites I've found that have been helpful:
    Raw Fed Cats
    Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

I shall definitely add Taurine too. Lisa Pierson says that cats can be hyperallergenic to beef and fish so primarily stick to chicken, turkey and rabbit. I had tried giving sardines to my kitten not too long ago, he immediately puked but he loves beef. No bad reactions with beef. Wonder If I should continue with beef??? Lisa also recommends supplementing there diet with b-complex but since I already give him grass fed beef I decided to skip that aspect.

Any inputs??

Omad is offline Junior Member

ChasePaleo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalhorse View Post
    I shall definitely add Taurine too. Lisa Pierson says that cats can be hyperallergenic to beef and fish so primarily stick to chicken, turkey and rabbit. I had tried giving sardines to my kitten not too long ago, he immediately puked but he loves beef. No bad reactions with beef. Wonder If I should continue with beef??? Lisa also recommends supplementing there diet with b-complex but since I already give him grass fed beef I decided to skip that aspect.

Any inputs??
    This is a great diet for them, as for the beef, wild cats would take advantage of the larger dead animals such as cow and eat their organs, so I definitely would continue with the beef. Although you could throw in some wild game organ which is extremely cheap to buy.

Another thing I should mention is that cats are well known insectivores and eat a variety of insects. I would look into this because it could be beneficial for the protein and b vitamins.
    Last edited by ChasePaleo; 09-07-2011 at 04:57 PM.

keevelish is offline Senior Member

Nix the grinding and blending!!!

Nix the grinding! Your cat was born with his own set: jaws and teeth.

Grinding the food prevents that necessary jaw action; that shearing cleans the teeth.

You don't have to add taurine if you're offering dark meat and heart. That meat has plenty of it.

Offer raw meaty bones and organs in as natural a state as possible. We get our feeder animals from here: Frozen Mice, Frozen Rats, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Chicks and Quail. You can, of course, do 'franken-prey' but a whole mouse or chick is your best bet to a healthy cat.

I've got two supremely healthy orientals that have been on a NOT ground raw-meaty bone and organ/whole prey diet (including insects) since kitten hood. Orientals are prone to gingivitis but they don't have a trace.

Even small kittens will tuck into a chick or side of a cornish hen. For your cat's sake, please do not grind and add weird supplements. They need the meat, organs and bones. Seriously. Don't leave out the bones.
    Last edited by keevelish; 09-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Finally got hold of a grinder and ended up making the recipe as outlined by Lisa A Peirson on her website. My kitten loved it. . He also loves beef and raw cow's milk both which are considered allergic for cats. Is there any science backing this or does it differ from cats to cats??

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    As others have said, 'raw' fed cats and dogs should be eating a good amount of bone. The natural diet of a cat is birds and small mammals eaten whole. That's a great deal of bone, all organs, only moderate muscle, and fairly low fat (small mammals tend to have low body fat). This is what I base the diet of my cats on. One of my cats reacts very badly to too much dietary fat (pancreatitis!), he has been raw-fed since he was 6 weeks.

Chewing through bone, muscle and tendons is also essential for predator tooth and mouth health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast