Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas for completely non-impact sprints? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Any ideas for completely non-impact sprints?

Shop Now
    I've got a horrible case of plantar fasciitis going right now that I can't seem to shake. I'm trying to keep my impact to an absolute minimum. Anyone have any ideas for what I can do for sprints? I don't belong to a gym so no access to machines. Unfortunately, I don't own a bike, either.

Thanks!

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    What about swimming or roller-blades?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Wander is offline Junior Member
    Total shot in the dark but maybe kettle bells?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Swimming if you have access to a pool.
    Monkey bars on the closest playground as a monkey-bars race-course or Tabata chin-ups
    You can also see if you can do shadow boxing keeping your feet stable or seated on an excersise ball
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    this workout is based on 4 bodyweight/sandbag weight Tabata intervals. There are a couple of intervals where she does back-and-forth jumping pushups but you could just substitute regular pushups there. she also does a 2 non-interval endurance-style sets between the Tabatas, but you could just leave those out - 4 Tabatas is still a damn good workout (for me anyway).

BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Swimming if you have access to a pool.
    Monkey bars on the closest playground as a monkey-bars race-course or Tabata chin-ups
    You can also see if you can do shadow boxing keeping your feet stable or seated on an excersise ball
    I don't think it's ever wise to use an exercise where you're likely to fatigue your muscles before completing the tabata ie tabata chin-ups. Can anybody do tabata chin ups without stopping? I seriously doubt it.

Get a sledgehammer, find an old tired, beat the crap out of it. You can do this in a tabata scheme, but it's pretty brutal that way. Look up on youtube how to do the form, though it should come naturally.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's ever wise to use an exercise where you're likely to fatigue your muscles before completing the tabata ie tabata chin-ups. Can anybody do tabata chin ups without stopping? I seriously doubt it.
    ? I didn't suggest anything before Tabata, it's either or proposition, depending on what is more doable/fun. Interval chin-ups is probably a better word than Tabata. Just cracnk out the sets of chin-ups with a minimal rest in between till you are down to one. That's one heck of an all-out workout. Well, at least in my books, since my chin-ups involve my whole body down to the little toe, lol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

FredFornicola is offline Junior Member
    I prefer and recommend controlled exercise movements so I'm not going to suggest Tabata style training with resistance, however, you can do sprints/Tabata type work statically like using the plank hold position or Warrior II pose. Hold for :30, rest for :30....see how many you can get. It's not an ideal situation but good enough until you are back to running and it will be challenging none the less.

Shadow Boxing - throw 100 pinches as fast as possible, take a short rest.

Take a long rope (30-50 ft) and tie it to a heavy object (anything) and drag it, pull it, staty stationary and row it toward you all as fast as you can.

Can you walk OK without pain? If so, grab a pair of dumbbells and do the Farmers Walk for distance/time.

In my Dumbbell Training book we have a section on Finishers and the "Medley" is a good one to do.

Good luck.
    www.PremierePersonalFitness.com

"TRAIN WITH A PURPOSE"

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    I've got a horrible case of plantar fasciitis going right now that I can't seem to shake. I'm trying to keep my impact to an absolute minimum. Anyone have any ideas for what I can do for sprints? I don't belong to a gym so no access to machines. Unfortunately, I don't own a bike, either.

Thanks!
    If you can buy a bike, get one. I purchased one last week, and I had forgotten how much fun they are! Sprints are, quite literally, a breeze!
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro

Facebook Pro Page (Be a Fan!):
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Moment...C/111048610165

workout4ever is offline Junior Member
    If you own a kettlebell you can do tabata swings or snatches.

You can also do tabata squats, if they are too easy for you, do goblet squats. Most people do them with a kettlebell holding the kettlebell by its "horns" but you can use a rock too. They are pretty tough and great for fat loss
    Visit my website about fitness and health, would love some input .

http://www.workout4ever.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast