Thread: Ben and Jerrys...it's been good to know you! page

HooDoo Guest

Shop Now

Sayanora sugar, so long bread, and Ben and Jerrys well its Phish Food no more for me. Can't remember how many times I finished off a pint of that fudgey, marshmallow, carmel goodness and felt that flush of a sugar rush as it sped through my body...and then the inevitable crash as I looked for the next thing to eat. Call it a New Years resolution but I'm thinking of it as a new frame of mind...resolutions usually don't last more than a month for me! Just ordered the Primal Blueprint...here goes!!!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

if you can last a month you'll never EVER go back.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

You can do this, HooDoo.

Really---and welcome to the Tribe!

emmie is offline Senior Member

This is true about never going back--from my Christmas experience. I gave up sugar long ago, but I've only been off artificial sweeteners for the past 8 months, since I discovered that my body reacts to them exactly like sugar. So nothing sweet at all.

For Christmas, my family had a cherry/chocolate cheesecake for dessert, and I've always loved cheesecake. I decided to have a small piece. It didn't taste 'right' to me, and I had no desire for more or any of the other sweets around (a lot of candy,etc.). There was nothing wrong with the cake (as my family members attested), but my taste buds seem to have changed.

I've had a terrific sweet tooth all of my life, but apparently no longer. I've idolized Ben & Jerry but they can seduce me no longer. It's not will power; I simply have no interest. Hurray!!!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

It's a wonderful feeling to be in control of what tastes good and what doesn't, right, emmie? To think that abstaining from sweets could cause cheesecake not to taste "right" and to know that you made that happen!

I used to be a huge ice cream lover, primarily starting when I worked at Baskin & Robbins in high school and we were allowed to eat as much as we wanted. I guess the idea was that we'd get tired of it. Ha! Teenagers never get sick of ice cream! That's when I became overweight and have struggled ever since.

Years later, I realized that it's really only the first bite of ice cream that I was craving. That creamy goodness on a spoon. So, I learned to keep a small container in the freezer, satisfy that first bite craving, and simply put the container back. It took about 2 years of doing that when one day I took out that container and the ice cream was all freezer burned. It was then I knew I'd conquered the hold that ice cream had on me.

Now, I whip up a little heavy cream, add vanilla and some grated 85% chocolate, allow it to freeze, and I can still get the first bite craving satisfied with no guilt whatsoever.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Welcome and congrats Hoodoo!

I used to have massive sugar cravings, even when I was doing chronic cardio, weighed 90 pounds, and ate low fat. Now if the ice cream craving hits, I'll blend coconut milk with berries or grated dark chocolate and almonds instead.

This post also did it for me:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-carb-binge/

And the Sugar chapter in Good Calories Bad Calories describes sugar as a toxin well enough to make me think twice before eating cake..you might want to read that after the pb.

Good to have you here, good luck!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"One bite" portioning worked well for me for forbidden foods. Until recently, I served Dad a lot of ice cream, it was one of the high calorie foods that his wasting body needed. So, I'd allow myself one, sometimes two spoons a day.

I didn't feel deprived that way.