Thread: Goodbye, Dr. Sears... page

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down Goodbye, Dr. Sears...

Shop Now
    I used to like some of the Dr. Sears' baby advice (not all of it!) and was happy to mention their Baby Book as a resource to my clients.

Not anymore.

Just got this via their newsletter:
    http://www.drsearsfamilyessentials.com/snacks.html

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    WHAT!!! Awful!

What I like about the Dr. Sears books is that they sneak in alternative attachment style parenting techniques without making it seem hippy or new age. Some people seem to *need* a Dr. to tell them what is/is not ok irt parenting, so they have been useful when looking for a less 'alternative' seeming resource to share.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    INGREDIENTS: Rolled Oats, Brown Rice Syrup, Date Puree, Whey Protein Isolate (Milk), Soluble Corn Fiber, Oat Fiber, Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Ground Vanilla Beans), Expeller Pressed Sunflower Oil, White Soy Coating (Dried Cane Syrup, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Soy Flour, Non-GMO Soy Lecithin, Vanilla Extract), Plum Puree, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Natural Flavors, Vegetable Glycerine, Soy Lecithin, Refined Fish Oil (Anchovy and Sardine, Fish Gelatin, Sodium Ascorbate, Canota Oil, Natural Flavor, Tocopherols, Sunflower Oil, Citric Acid), Baking Soda, Salt
    God Almighty! They'd give that to children?

And after saying:

We are concerned about the increase in empty calories, sugars and processed foods we see in children's diets
    The hell you are! That's your sales pitch. Can you imagine how many "empty calories" and how much of the "sugars" there are in that? And as if that's not a processed food.

It's pretty much irrelevant that there's some fish oil in there. (Why can't the parent open a can of sardines and give those to the kid? Is that so hard?) As well as all the sugar, there's whey protein isolate. So instead of giving the kid a glass of real raw milk you give them a processed fraction ... that's almost certainly been processed at high temperature, causing protein denaturation:

Denaturation

Then there's soy flour. It's a cheap filler and something that agribusiness wants to shift but a food?

Soya not only destroys forests and small farmers - it can also be bad for your health
    Originally hailed as wonderful, soya can be bad for your health. | Life and style | The Observer

What's "canota oil"? I suppose they mean canola oil, which is a euphemism for rapeseed oil. They've genetically modified rape to try to get rid of the erucic acid, which causes heart lesions, but there's still some there. It's nobbut an industrialised pseudo-fat anyway ... as is the sunflower oil.

What a *&%$ing disaster area that bar is!

I mean, just eat real food.