Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about IF'ing page

Hawaiigirl is offline Member

Question about IF'ing

Shop Now
    For those of you who have been IF'ing, are you doing it mainly for weight loss? I am trying to get off those last 10 pounds and hoping to do so with IF. My question is do you have to continue IF'ing after you reach your goal weight to maintain?

Nocciola is offline Member
    I don't know about weight loss as the sole objective - for me it just does come naturally at this point. I was never a breakfast person and I am fine going to having a big dinner / eating once a day - it really does feel better and I'm not hungry the rest of hte time, but I'm not strict about it either, if I was in a circumstance for work etc. or was genuinely hungry it would be ok but the rest of the time it is just what feels right. You may find that too. In terms of weight loss, I think it just helps naturally create a good caloric balance and ups HGH etc.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I have been IFing successfully for over 6 months and continue to do so.

I have an eating window of 6 hours most days and extend it to 8 hours (very occasionally 10) when I feel like it.

I'm flexible as to when I start eating, depending on my schedule.

No problem maintaining now that my body knows what it needs.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm just used to it by now and highly doubt there will ever be a time again when I become a regular breakfast eater. A proper diet is still more important than just fasting. I've been all over the place with my food intake (from good to beyond terrible) the only constant has been my fasting. I'm pretty sure that were it not for my "dark times" I would be closer to my ideal body composition. The only reason why I didn't gain too much weight is probably fasting.

So, if you don't ENJOY fasting, then sure you probably will just resume regular activities once you're closer to where you want to be, but I enjoy not having to prepare a breakfast or not having the physical need to eat early in the morning. I am not sure how it will change when I'm closer to ideal body fat %, probably not by much I may just eat a little less when I do eat. I'll worry about that when I get there.

(for the record, sometimes on weekends I do eat breakfast, because I do so with loved ones, my fasting is strictly a weekday thing, facilitated by being at work)

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    (for the record, sometimes on weekends I do eat breakfast, because I do so with loved ones, my fasting is strictly a weekday thing, facilitated by being at work)
    I'm in the same boat. I looked into IF initially as a tool for my goals but has quickly revealed added benefits that are favorable for me to adapt permanently such as:

1) more time in the morning to relax and read without having to worry about cooking breakfast
    2) no need to pack lunch, can use my lunch hour to work out fasted instead
    3) saves me a TON of money, given the choice of eat crap for cheap or eat "good" for a little more. Now I usually have one meal at night and it's really satisfying for the money
    4) I eat breakfast on weekends with my GF since that's the only time she's around but we usually only have 4 meals spread out over the weekend

The money savings seems to be the biggest thing for me at the moment. When I first started budgeting for PB, I was in the ballpark of around $500-$600 a month for one person. I streamlined things quite a bit and with the addition of IF, I'm down to $200-$300 a month with good variety and a lot of splurging.

As for physical benefits, there are times when it's a little difficult to do a 4 hour eating window and I'm sometimes concerned that I go to coffee with heavy cream during the 20 hour fasting period but I've only been at it for 2 weeks so I'll see how my body responds in a month or so.

I suppose dropping around 2"-3" inches from my waist and being 215lbs down from 245lbs while exceeding my strength from my 230lbs football days are pretty good bonuses too but I suspect that wouldn't be possible without the other factors I try to adhere to (walking, heavy lifting, sleep, meat, starch, vegs, no fruit).
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 09-07-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Hawaiigirl is offline Member
    Good to know! I like IF'ing and I like the results I see but I just don't want to start gaining again if I want to eat breakfast on some days

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I find that since I started eating primally I only need to eat 2 meals a day, breakfast at this point would be overkill for me personally. So I eat around noon and then have a good dinner. I've done 24 hour fasts on the weekends and have been pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to maintain them since I stopped having these blood sugar rollercoasters.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I think you just have to see how it goes, Hawaiigirl. I don't plan on starting to eat breakfast now that I am at a point I don't feel like losing any more. If anything, I am just having a bit more "treats", like greek yogurt and chocolate. It is just a matter of finding the balance that works for you. Having an occasional breakfast is prolly not going to mess things up, but if you threw in a breakfast every day once you reached goal weight - you might have trouble maintaining, but who knows - you'd have to try to see.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i tried doing IF and it totally stalled my weight loss. it was a huge mistake
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiigirl View Post
    Good to know! I like IF'ing and I like the results I see but I just don't want to start gaining again if I want to eat breakfast on some days
    From my albeit short experience with IF (some days 16/8, some days 20/4, some days not at all), having the occasional breakfast (i'm assuming when you wake up in the morning some time) didn't derail me from progressing but then again, my idea of "progress" is not regressing to my previous overweight state while still increasing my strength and lowering my bodyfat in no particular time frame.

You might want to consider controlling your IF experiment a little more carefully for your goals. Are you taking care of other aspects like sleep, walking, sprinting, sunlight etc? I'm finding out that this sort of synergy with IF and nutrition is more important than I thought based on my own experiments and the results from other people. I'd worry more about those other things before worrying about whether an occasional breakfast would affect you.
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 09-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast