Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Important are Grass-Fed Meats? page

MamaThom is offline Junior Member

Question How Important are Grass-Fed Meats?

Primal Fuel
    I have been purchasing grass fed meats/eggs/dairy for years, so I know the importance of eating them as well as the quality/taste improvements.

However, they are much more expensive and I have not eaten them exclusively, but probably about 50% of the time. I also like to eat out, and but only one restaurant I know of serves grass-fed beef here. So, now that I'm trying to do PB eating, how crucial is it to be eating 100% grain-free meat? I mean, if the animal is eating grains, is that going to be like me eating grains??

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    it's not super important to eat all grass fed. i actually eat all conventionally raised meats. the benefit of grass fed is that the fat will likely store less toxins (just trim the extra fat of conventional meats) and the omega ratio is better because of the increased omega 3's. i eat fish or take fish oil, so i'm not so concerned about the imbalance.
    those are the big things...nothing much really.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I agree with rob... I dont have the extra cash for grass fed. But i would like to buy some grass fed lard and such for cooking with. Also I prefer the fresh cuts from the butcher at my farmers market to frozen shipped grassfed meat anyday.

I take a teaspoon of straight fish oil every day. It is the best I can do for now with my budget

ogella is offline Junior Member
    This was helpful to me regarding the same question:

The Differences Between Grass-Fed Beef and Grain-Fed Beef | Mark's Daily Apple

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    grass fed lard
    Pigs don't eat grass. They're omnivores like humans. You'd want to look for pastured lard, similar to pastured eggs or poultry. The only meats that are grass fed are cows/lamb and the like because they're grazing omnivores. The phrase "grass fed" around here has turned into MDA's version of "Kleenex" or "Xerox" haha.

I buy conventional everything. I take 1-2 grams of fish oil a day to balance (I can't tolerate much more or I break out), I cut as much fat off the conventional cuts that I can and I eat roughly 1 pound of wild caught salmon a week. The fish I buy is ALWAYS wild caught - grass fed/pastured meats are 100-200+% more than conventional so there's no way I'm spending that much, but wild caught is only $1-2/lb more than farmed in most cases. Hell, I can get wild coho salmon for the same cost at Trader Joe's as Shop Rite's chum or farmed salmon, so that is DEFINITELY an expense I'm willing to make. This adds up to an extra $3-5 a week vs buying pastured meats, which would cost $30+ more per week. I consider pastured meats to be the least important part of the Primal Blueprint.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-07-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

awm8604 is offline Member
    To me, they are of the utmost importance.

Aside from the nutritional benefits, I cannot willingly put money in support of factory farming operations. I buy directly from a local farm.

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by ogella View Post
    This was helpful to me regarding the same question:

The Differences Between Grass-Fed Beef and Grain-Fed Beef | Mark's Daily Apple
    Great link - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Pigs don't eat grass. They're omnivores like humans. You'd want to look for pastured lard, similar to pastured eggs or poultry. The only meats that are grass fed are cows/lamb and the like because they're grazing omnivores. The phrase "grass fed" around here has turned into MDA's version of "Kleenex" or "Xerox" haha.

I buy conventional everything. I take 1-2 grams of fish oil a day to balance (I can't tolerate much more or I break out), I cut as much fat off the conventional cuts that I can and I eat roughly 1 pound of wild caught salmon a week. The fish I buy is ALWAYS wild caught - grass fed/pastured meats are 100-200+% more than conventional so there's no way I'm spending that much, but wild caught is only $1-2/lb more than farmed in most cases. Hell, I can get wild coho salmon for the same cost at Trader Joe's as Shop Rite's chum or farmed salmon, so that is DEFINITELY an expense I'm willing to make. This adds up to an extra $3-5 a week vs buying pastured meats, which would cost $30+ more per week. I consider pastured meats to be the least important part of the Primal Blueprint.
    Good to know...here I was freaking out about the expense. Sooo - what's everyone's favorite fish oil? Carlson's? I take a New Chapter gel cap...

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post

Aside from the nutritional benefits, I cannot willingly put money in support of factory farming operations. I buy directly from a local farm.
    +100
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awm8604 View Post

Agreed. I've started raising my own turkeys and it is expensive to feed these huge birds real and healthy feed. It makes me cringe when I think about what they feed the cheap turkeys you get around thanksgiving time - Arsenic to make them put on weight faster for one thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast