Thread: Possible to develop celiac/gluten probs? page

Nocciola is offline Member

Possible to develop celiac/gluten probs?

Primal Fuel
    This question may have been posted previously but I haven't seen any definitive answer, and maybe there isn't one - but I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience getting violently ill eating one non-primal meal after a very long time (months) without gluten/bread?

After going all summer on strict primal, and avoiding pretty much every temptation - I wasn't even tempted, to be honest - I caved and had some pizza the other night at a friend's party. I got violently, horribbly, terribly sick from it - it seemed like my body just couldn't process it. No one else got sick, so I don;t think it was food poisoning, though maybe it was? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else - definitely won't be something I ever try again. I hadn't been doing any "cheat" days or even "cheat" meals - most I would do was go above 50 on carbs if it was with fruit, or maybe some extra wine, but I haven't had pasta or bread or really any gluten products at all for a very long time.

Is this a common thing when people go back to gluten? Should I be concerned about celiacs? Or just pass it off as a weird food poisoning episode?

maile1 is offline Senior Member
    yes, that is very common if you are gluten intolerant/celiac. when you were eating gluten you body had reached a level of balance, it was used to the constant antagonism from the gluten and dealt with it. when you went gluten free it had a chance to heal but the first time you add gluten back in and you are gluten intolerant then your body reacts in a harsh manner.

Canuck is offline Junior Member
    I went Primal a little over 2 1/2 months ago, I never suspected that I may have developed a problem with gluten/wheat because I've eaten it my whole life with no issues, till the past few years where I've just not been feeling 100% but never thought that a gluten problem might be part of the problem. I decided to have a homemade flour tortilla with a meal last week and within 2 hrs I had the same old problems back, the gurgling gut, gas, pain, discomfort and upset stomach. I didn't become violently ill, but I felt miserable and that was all I needed to know that I do have an issue with gluten. After being gluten free for nearly 3 months my body wasn't having anything to do with it and now I steer clear of it for good...I just feel SO much better, it's just not worth it to eat it.

It just took that little "experiment" for it to hit home completely, my body can't and won't tolerate gluten anymore, so I can definitely believe that if you have gluten sensitivities that it can make you sick that fast.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    It happens. I didn't have a chance to eat dinner last night, so I grabbed a couple of my kids' cereal bars to eat. A couple hours later and I was phlegmy, having trouble breathing and my tongue was swollen. I just thought I was getting a bad cold, but it was my non-primal husband who suggested it could be an allergic reaction to food. Sure enough, I looked at the ingredients and there's wheat and soy in them. Yet another reason to stay primal, IMO.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I went Primal a little over 2 1/2 months ago, I never suspected that I may have developed a problem with gluten/wheat because I've eaten it my whole life with no issues, till the past few years where I've just not been feeling 100% but never thought that a gluten problem might be part of the problem. I decided to have a homemade flour tortilla with a meal last week and within 2 hrs I had the same old problems back, the gurgling gut, gas, pain, discomfort and upset stomach. I didn't become violently ill, but I felt miserable and that was all I needed to know that I do have an issue with gluten. After being gluten free for nearly 3 months my body wasn't having anything to do with it and now I steer clear of it for good...I just feel SO much better, it's just not worth it to eat it.

It just took that little "experiment" for it to hit home completely, my body can't and won't tolerate gluten anymore, so I can definitely believe that if you have gluten sensitivities that it can make you sick that fast.
    Sometimes we aren't aware of the issues / symptoms of foods or a food group until we have eliminated them, and then when you do try it or there is cross-contamination ... then it becomes real apparent. I'm glad that you didn't have a severe reaction. It's not fun !
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

hockeyfan7 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My Celiac didn't manifest until I was 43. After being GF for a while, if I get any gluten at all, 3 hours later I am violently ill. My body can't take it any more after having not had it. Prior to being diagnosed my only symptom was severe anemia that wouldn't respond to treatment. I never had any stomach issues before being diagnosed. Now it's guaranteed if I eat gluten.