Thread: Grok Nuts page

mikeinmadrid is offline Junior Member

Grok Nuts

Primal Fuel
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

I was just in the park and the almonds are falling so I brought a few home. Man they are difficult to open. It's like the tree doesn't want to you eat the almonds! I hope Grok had a hammer and chisel because that was what I needed.

The almonds taste very fresh and have an intense almondy flavor, quite different to the nuts I buy in the store. It does make you wonder if we are missing nutrients because none of our food is really fresh. Perhaps that is one of the factors why modern hunter gatherers avoid Western diseases.

I think the advice to eat nuts in moderation is good. Grok would not have been able to produce kilo bags of almonds. I also wonder if its best to forget about nut flours. I made a quiche with almond flour but it really doesn't produce a nice pastry. I think its probably best to use a good quality white flour to make a thin light crust (i.e. aim for maximum egg and minimum pastry)

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I feel the same way about the macadamias on our tree. It's so labour intensive to get the nut, you aren't going to eat that many!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Grim is offline Member
    I wish I had that problem. Fresh, tasty nuts that fall from a tree nearby.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    WHAT?! I want to live where it rains almonds and macadamias. Hallelujah.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I'm part of the camp that believes nuts are pretty bad for you. In 23 almonds, there is 3.4g of omega 6. You would have to eat 4 POUNDS of CONVENTIONALLY RAISED bottom sirloin to get that much omega 6. So yes, eating a quarter cup of almonds will skew your EFA ratios more than an entire week's worth of beef for a smaller sized woman, all without an omega 3 in sight.

As for a crust, you can try using white rice flour. You can buy it at most Shop Rite's for less than $3/lb.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes_detail.php?rid=370
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.