Thread: Input re what my naturopath prescribed? page

katemary is offline Senior Member

Input re what my naturopath prescribed?

Hi, basic background late 30s about 65lb overweight, due to various dramas keep switching between pretty strict primal and then going off rails, for over a year ...have regained the 26 lb I lost, so frustrated.

Anyway,in right head space to go back to primal lifestyle and having a chilled week eating well away, and went to naturopath. I had to write down typical diet and I had to write down two since I have been on and off for months at a time, and she said my primal diet is exactly what she would have suggested to me, no amendments, just get back to it (and come see her if plateaus were disheartening me..prob good advice)

So apart from some weird liver tonic (St marys thistle, schisandra, tribulus, echineacea, Siberian ginseng and licorice) she prescribed Glucofactors and CoQ10.

Anyone know anything about these supplements.

Or maybe I should say tell me they are really really good and worth the $200 and will help me lose weight fast.....so at least I get the placebo effect!! ;-)

Thanks
    Last edited by katemary; 09-07-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Stupid auto text on ipad

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Am I safe to assume both the glucofactors and the coq10 are metagenics? Metagenics is high quality stuff, but if the $200 is for those two supplements, your ND's markup is kind of steep.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    $200 for CoQ10? You can get it on iherb for 10-15 bucks.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of glucofactors, but I take CoQ10 on a daily basis. It rocks. My naturopath is thrilled that I'm Primal and is anti-grain, too. She tells me what she'd like for me to take, and I shop around to find the cheapest price myself (usually iHerb).
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Part of the $200 had to be her fee, no? Mine charges $150 for the initial consult (WELL worth it, as she spent 2 hours with me) and then $75 thereafter.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    So apart from some weird liver tonic (St marys thistle, schisandra, tribulus, echineacea, Siberian ginseng and licorice) she prescribed Glucofactors and CoQ10.

Anyone know anything about these supplements.
    No idea on the liver tonic.

And I haven't heard of Glucofactors. it seems to be some patent mixture of concentrated raw organ meats and minerals that are supposed to help with glucose metabolism:

A-Z Products List | Metagenics | Gluco-Factors®

Do you think you have problems with glucose metabolism? Is there that much glucose to be metabolized on a Primal-style diet anyway? I doubt it's harmful: raw organ meats sounds pretty primal to me—makes me think of that scene in Dancing with Wolves where he eats the raw buffalo liver—and what are a few extra minerals here or there?

Coenzyme Q10 is present in heart and to a lesser extent in liver and muscle meats (and various other foods). So you can get it through your food—specially if you eat foods like heart, which I guess many people eating a modern diet don't—but I doubt there's any harm for most people in taking some as a supplement and probably some good in many cases. It does have a number of therapeutic uses. It's been suggested that it probably ought always to be given to people on statins—not that anyone should be on statins.

Here's NHS information on it available to be given out to patients in the UK:

Coenzyme Q10 | Doctor | Patient UK

Thank you so much for that information, I guess it can't hurt...not that I can gauge the value of each whilst taking all, I get that...

The brand is BioCeuticals.

$200 for the 500ml tonic plus the two lots of tabs...I wish it included the consult price!

Thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And thanks for the links Lewis.

No I think I have problem binging on carbs if I have grains, but that is a separate issue. Now I will think of that scene from Dance with wolves every time I take them!!