Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grock'n in St. Louis page

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member

Grock'n in St. Louis

Primal Fuel
    Well, I've been lurking on the forum for maybe 2 months now and decided to jump right in.

I've always just gone to 'New Posts' and never really bothered with the structure, so really hadn't followed that there was a 'Meet and Greet' section. So I went straight to starting a journal. But it's only been a couple of days, so I guess I'll backtrack to here.

Your location: St. Louis, MO. South side. 1 mile walk to the center of Tower Grove Park if you know the area.

Age (If you want): (sure, why not?) 42.5

How Primal are you: Between 75 and 85%. 'Nibble cheats' when making the kids' food. Eat processed meats like bacon and the occasional sausage. Good amount of nuts and fruit.

Do you consume dairy: Some cheese, a little milk. Plenty of butter.

Do you drink coffee or tea: No. Makes me too jumpy and shakey.

Motivator for switching to Primal: General health. Former athlete looking for more well rounded conditioning and a less-round shape than I currently have.

Favorite exercise: All over the body weight stuff. Right now I kinda like burpees with a sprawl, push-up, jump, and pull-up inserted.

Favorite Primal food: Besides bacon? I've become a big fan of rib-eye steaks.

Best part about being Primal: To twist around Mark's graph - insidious weight loss. Near effortless 1 to 2 lbs/week. Slow and steady.

Worst part about being Primal: I freely admit I miss pasta and baked goods from time to time. And the psychological comfort of mindless snacking. Not good for me, I know, but still some withdraw going on.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I lived in St. Louis for thirteen years. Great place to eat primal, with all the farmers markets and farms just outside the city! Though I love California, I do wish sometimes I lived closer to a nice farmer willing to sell me some meat.

And Tower Grove is lovely! One of my favorite parks in the city. I used to drive over to the Forest Park area to go to aikido. Many fond memories of me and the guy walking through both of those parks!

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I used to live very near you. You're awfully close to The Hill. Good luck with that!
    Oh and between 2 Ted Drewes, double good luck.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

And the new(ish) Tower Grover Creamery and Gelateria Leone in case I get tired walking to Ted Drewes! Yes, both our good and bad choices seem to be improving...

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloCity.X View Post
    And the new(ish) Tower Grover Creamery and Gelateria Leone in case I get tired walking to Ted Drewes! Yes, both our good and bad choices seem to be improving...
    If I miss anything from St. Louis it's the custard and gelato. Hard to believe, but there just aren't many good ice cream places within convenient driving distance of my house in San Clemente. So sad.

I love the London Fog gelato from Gelateria Leone next door to Pho Grand. Pho Grand still has the best Vietnamese spring rolls I ever ett.

Next time you are in St. Louis I'll introduce you to Bahn Mi So #1. Further south on Grand that Pho and may beat them out in the spring roll department....

Spring Rolls... The reason 80/20 exists.

amieable is offline Junior Member
    Welcome, although if you've been lurking for 2 months you've been here longer than I. We also live in St. Louis.

You must live near Local Harvest Grocery and Cafe. Jealous!
    We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. -Adelle Davis

nicoleah is offline Member
    Hello and welcome! I'm in the St. Louis area also. We have a fantastic Meetup group if you'd like to check it out: www.meetup.com/Primal-Living-STL You'll meet a lot of great people and get plenty of support as well.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoleah View Post
    Hello and welcome! I'm in the St. Louis area also. We have a fantastic Meetup group if you'd like to check it out: www.meetup.com/Primal-Living-STL You'll meet a lot of great people and get plenty of support as well.
    You guys do have a great group of Primes there. I wish I had gotten enough feedback to merit starting a group like yours here. (any local feedback would have been a good thing really)

nicoleah is offline Member
    Yep! There are two weekly group WODs, plus dinners out together, potlucks and group "field trips." We're even visiting a grassfed cattle farm in IL on the 17th and splitting half a cow. At least two of our members are in Kansas City since there isn't a KC group yet. There's a thread on our board about a starting one if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast