Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing BF with Fasting and Crossfit page

David is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Egads! I’ve did a 24 hour fast last Thursday, IF Sunday 15 hours, and IF for 15.5 hours today. I’ve taken 1 day off from Crossfit. On the fasted days i eat two full meals but am running short of my protein amount, eating 80 to 100g, trying to reach my supposed lean body mass of 138 lbs. I weigh 154lbs.Tonight I did a visual check of my BF around the waist. Yikes! I noticed more BF around my waist. Have not gained more than 1 lb. the past 6-7 days. Eating good fats (70-90 grams a day) avocado, nuts, almond butter, olive oil. Consuming good carbs, 99% vegetables…low starch or no starch veggies, hardly any fruit. Do use olive oil and other dressings on salad. Also, sleeping 6 – 7.5 hours a day.

I am puzzled ?? Thought fasting would help lose unwanted fat and by eating the PB way, would not lose muscle nor energy.

Mark, or anybody else. Do you have an idea how I can reverse the BF increase?

krisssi Guest

I'd give it more than a week if I were you, these things take much longer to happen.

A visual check is not very reliable, you may have some water retention from salt or something, or you may not be as pumped from yesterday's workout as you were from the workout the other day, or the time of day/daylight could be different from the other day, etc. etc.

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member

I've discovered IFing only works to a certain point, and then for me I have negative returns. Too much fasting sort of stalls my efforts. This may not be true for everyone, but it's what I've experienced. I do occasional "survival weeks" though lately it's gotten totally random (Holidays.)

Typically when I IF too much, my loss pretty much stalls out. I noticed when I went back to eating a little more often (maybe 2 meals and a snack), keeping it to lean protein, the scale went down a bit more.

While I'm not afraid of fat (like I was in CW days), I've learned (for me) that I do better when I keep it pretty lean with fat and fruits more as a treat. I do eat one good fatty meal a day- lately it's been meat soup, typically hamburger and spices in bone broth- but I'm getting off track here.

More sleep might help also. I notice my weight loss would always slow down when I wasn't getting 7-8 hours of sleep. Nuts also slow down my progress.

These are just some things I've found to be true for me. Experiment and see what works for you.

And I agree, give it a few weeks before getting worried.

krisssi Guest

I agree with too much IF causing stalled weight loss, I used to do the 16/8 protocol every day for a while, though I was eating a higher-carb diet at that time, and I got pretty lean in the beginning, then the bodyfat slowly creeped up again.

Chunster495 is offline Member

your method of fat measure could be off(visual)... and like the other's have stated, it's probably just a bit of bloating...drink lots of water to flush out any excess retention and lower the sodium content and see if that helps any... other than that, i'd say keep with it for a while and see if you get better results. Please update and let us know how it goes in a couple of weeks. I'm curious as to find out what the issue may be as well.

Thank you for the kind support!

As I reflect on your reasons why I may see more BF: yes, it may be water retention, lack of sleep, too many nuts(I eat 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups a day), or, like the WOD I did yesterday, the workout was 19 hours apart from the day before. So, I will try increase sleep time, and cut back on the nuts, and see how the fasting and timing of meals per day affect the BF. Lot of variables to play with!

Happy New Year!

Oh, also, maybe my body is trying to store fat to prevent starvation or protect me from starving while in a 24 hour fast. Once heard someone use the word "cannibolic" state where the body actually breaks down muscle to feed the body when you are not eating enough. Could this occur in a short IF or 24 hour fast?

GotPrimal Guest

David,

The term is "catabolic". Its pretty widely used in the body building community. The goal is to stay away from catabolic (muscle degeneration), and be in anabolic (muscle growing).

Although, Mark has written several articles relaying that its not that simple.

Catabolic processes due exist and occur on a daily basis, but for a PBer/Functional fitness minded person, its not something to sweat over.

IF'ing is definitely a unique and advanced technique. It takes awhile to get used to

CJ4400 is offline Member

DR - I'm so glad to read your comment. I feel I am in the same boat as you. While I'm not afraid of fat I HAVE been eating larger amounts of fat from fatty cuts of meat and have noticed in the past two months the weight creeping back on the scale.

David - I too IF at least once a week and IF at least 16-18 hours 3 times a week. At first it did wonders for my body but I am starting to wonder if my body is in fat preservation mode.

I feel wonderful when I IF (Healthy, Active, Reduced Inflammation), but do not see any more weight reduction from it. I just posted about this but am glad that this thread is getting traction. Would love to hear more thoughts/experiences on this! I think I will have to stick to leaner cuts of protein such as eggs and chicken.

At the young age of 56, the obvious is it is bit more challenging to lose the BF. Yet, I can easily lose weight as any Grok protege. Starting today, I've cut back on the fat intake and will see if this does indeed reduce BF.

I think IF is good for the body and mind! Self-discipline or will power, is challenged and strengthened through this process too!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast