Thread: Yoga meshing with Primal? page

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member

Yoga meshing with Primal?

Hey all -
    Wanted to get some input from y'all on a topic that's been on my mind lately. I've been doing yoga, more or less consistently for the past 5 years and it's been one of the things that has changed my life more than anything, specifically related to diet pre-primal. I went vegetarian for a while, mostly because I was convinced that non meat was healthier and, as ghandi's concept of Ahimsa (non violence) guides a lot of yogic philosophy, it seemed in tune. Also, magazine upon magazine of yoga journal was full of why it was bad to eat meat and delicious recipes that were meatless (which I've had a hard time giving up).
    I think that the Vegetarian Myth has helped me a lot in dealing with this topic, in terms of viewing the vegetarian lifestyle as not one of non-violence merely because it spares the immediate killing of animals, but I'd like to hear others insights on this issue. Mostly, are yogic philosophy and primality compatible?

Shmanks!
    Abby

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Mark's wife is very into yoga and manages to drag him along. Heehee. If you search, you will find lots of posts. Here's one.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i suspect the vegetarian leanings of yoga stem from its hindu origins. remove the weird religious dogma and theres really no reason why you cant eat meat and practice yoga
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    i suspect the vegetarian leanings of yoga stem from its hindu origins. remove the weird religious dogma and theres really no reason why you cant eat meat and practice yoga
    but she wants to know if the philosophy is compatible with eating primal. you can't just say 'stop caring about the philosophy.'

poster zoebird wrote in another thread recently about how the concept of ahmisa as it's understood today is more recent, whereas if you go back to vedic times abstaining for consuming animal products wasn't considered a part of ahimsa. and if Gandhi were really the more important influence I would think you would spell his name right!

and ultimately i think you have to prioritize your health over what yoga journal says. although i think it's great that you're actually trying to keep with the philosophy of yoga rather than just viewing it as 'stretching' and 'a good workout that needs to be stripped of all reminders of its 'weird' religious roots.'

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    yup, i find it compatible.

first, the vedic culture from which yoga stems is hugely, massively diverse. it includes hindus, buddhists, sikhs, jains. There are hindus, buddhists, and sikhs who eat meat as well as those who don't. For example, *most* nepali hindus eat meat. they also practice yoga. kundalini yoga and sikhism are intimately connected -- most sikhs eat meat. Buddhists -- depending upon location -- tend to eat meat (eg, most thai buddhists eat meat, and thailand is 98% buddhist, 2% animistic religion). It is really only the jains who do not eat meat, though some jains will *if* their health depends upon it.

In india, hindus vary widely. some will eat fish, eggs, dairy, but no other meats. some will also include goat or chicken, but no other meat. and others are lacto vegetarian, others are lacto-ovo. very few are strict vegetarian (vegan). but, they do exist -- and this is pretty much the community that ghandi came from. he was also heavily influenced by vegetarianism in the west -- and the combination of these factors lead to his unique take on vegetarianism and ahimsa.

Ayurveda -- the sister science of yoga -- also has information about eating meat, who should eat it and when for optimal health.

so -- traditionally speaking -- you can eat meat and practice yoga.